• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interpreting Kata

Johnlogic121

In Isshinryu Karate, the first kata, Seisan, has a section that turns ninety degrees to one side as you execute a middle area block, then you punch, then you punch again, then you kick, and finally you punch. The section is repeated on the left and right sides within the same kata a total of three times, so it rapidly becomes familiar when you do the kata. Most of the time, people interpret this section of the kata as a long fighting combination. However, I am considering that this section is really a seqeunce of two-step combinations. Thus, as one flowing motion, you go through the common transitions of Isshinryu karate fighting in one special sequence rather than as seperate units. The basics of Isshinryu teach many two-step movements that you learn to combine in longer combinations, so I'm thinking that the kata is designed to be broken into its component parts in a complementary way. If you take this line of interpretation further, you can see many shorter sequences out of the longer sequences shown in the forms. Ultimately, every single fighting gesture is a single unit in my opinion that can be intercombined freely with others for maximum versatality and effectiveness. What do other people think about the interpretation of kata forms and the study of Bunkai applications?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What do other people think about the interpretation of kata forms and the study of Bunkai applications?

i think the interpretation of katas/hyungs/forms are an integral part of one's learning the the MAs. i think it truly helps black belts particularly what they're doing but more importantly, WHY they're doing. i also think that bunkai is not sent in stone and can be interpreted rather loosely. but overall bunkai is what ties the kata/hyung/form to the self defense portion of the art. it's good stuff, i like it alot.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I think that people fight differently. Some will be prone to longer combinations, and others to shorter combinations. Exploring and deciding is great for training.

I think that everyone is different, and that you should use what is usefull to you. Then you will have balance because you will understand better and will perform much better.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.