• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I rented a Jeet Kune Do video from Blockbuster video once and Dan Inosanto explained the basics of Western boxing and Phillipino boxing, which are the same. In his exposition, there were eight essential basics.

1. Dodge the left hook to the inside left, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

2. Dodge the left hook to the inside left, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

3. Dodge the right cross to the inside right, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

4. Dodge the right cross to the inside right, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

5. Block the left hook to the inside with the right hand, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

6. Block the left hook to the inside with the right hand, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

7. Block the right cross to the inside with the right hand, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

8. Block the right cross to the inside with the right hand, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

That's it. I was little surprised that these common seqeunces are best taught strictly as specific sequences, rather than as individual basics that you actively learn to combine later. For example, I expected breaking everything down into two dodges, two blocks, and two counterattacking sequences. However, real world practice has evolved these forms to the state they are now in, so I suppose that these basic eight forms, even if they are somewhat repetitive and even redundant, are the best way to teach the essentials of Western Boxing. Can anybody think of some examples from their martial arts experience that apply this degree of repetitive refinement? I expect that many dojos practice their techniques in variations that tend to differ more individually than these do.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think, if I understand your question correctly, that the way some of the Olympic TKD stylists train for kicking counters train in the same way. There isn't the ducking and weaving, but there is a lot of footwork involved with various kicking combinations.

I have always wanted to spend some time with a knowldegable Boxer. I feel that there is a lot to be learned from this style.

Effective strikes tend to be similar. Western boxing ( and western civilization) is almost always pragmatic... If you are in the point A and wanna reach B , go straight ( unless there is something in the middle ) .

Those combinationes are taught in most boxing gyms , Kickboxing , and MMA.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I rented a Jeet Kune Do video from Blockbuster video once and Dan Inosanto explained the basics of Western boxing and Phillipino boxing, which are the same. In his exposition, there were eight essential basics.

1. Dodge the left hook to the inside left, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

2. Dodge the left hook to the inside left, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

3. Dodge the right cross to the inside right, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

4. Dodge the right cross to the inside right, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

5. Block the left hook to the inside with the right hand, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

6. Block the left hook to the inside with the right hand, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

7. Block the right cross to the inside with the right hand, then throw a left hook, right cross, and a left hook.

8. Block the right cross to the inside with the right hand, then throw a right cross, left hook, and a right cross.

That's it. I was little surprised that these common seqeunces are best taught strictly as specific sequences, rather than as individual basics that you actively learn to combine later. For example, I expected breaking everything down into two dodges, two blocks, and two counterattacking sequences. However, real world practice has evolved these forms to the state they are now in, so I suppose that these basic eight forms, even if they are somewhat repetitive and even redundant, are the best way to teach the essentials of Western Boxing. Can anybody think of some examples from their martial arts experience that apply this degree of repetitive refinement? I expect that many dojos practice their techniques in variations that tend to differ more individually than these do.

That's only a single counterpunch sequence. You would want to learn more than this.

However, as far as "refinement" goes, it's an excellent example of how you should learn the fundamentals. Don't learn 10,000 moves, and be able to use them all poorly at best. Learn only a few, but learn to apply them from 10,000 situations with effectiveness.

There are many styles that will do one move or a set of moves over and over agian , in that video they show western boxing as being a very repeative style. That is the type of style bruce lee liked , for example i have done wing chun for many years and it keeps reapeatin its self all the time, these are the styles bruce lee liked and thats what was in the video.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.