• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Krav Maga

I said that he should start off with one style untill he knows it well enough to use as a basis to then develop his skill. Noone should ever start off with 2 or more styles that is a foolish thing to do.

I totally agree with this but with regards to your earlier post, IMO if you have been training for decades investing in too many styles may be detrimental.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is true , but there are many people who can handle the presure of more than say 5 styles, and these people want the chanllenge.

Im not sayin that everyone can or should do many styles , im just sayin that it is the best way to become a truely great martial artist.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

That is true , but there are many people who can handle the presure of more than say 5 styles, and these people want the chanllenge.

Im not sayin that everyone can or should do many styles , im just sayin that it is the best way to become a truely great martial artist.

Not necessarily. Your time and resources would be split and instead of concentrating purely on the advanced concepts of one style you would have to spend time learning the basics of another. Jack of all trades but master of none? That is not to say though that you should not explore different ways and methods of doing things but you shouldn't necessarily have to cram yourself full of styles to become a great martial artist, its possible to do it with one.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have had that same response from many martial artist, even professionals that have been doing martial arts for 20-30 years. You are blinded y the amount of styles but what you lack to see is the individual styles , and as a person who has done many styles i dont do each of them individually , i do them all as one style i only take what is useful to me.

Now when i train in these styles i could clear my mind of any other styles and just focus on the one at hand. Remember that martial arts is not all about styles and the phyical sense, but a hugh part of it is mental , and if the person carnt cope then that is a weakness of their mind.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I think that it can be difficult to discern the best moves out of a style. I knew an Aikidoist who starting taking Ninjutsu classes with me and his observation was that it might take you twenty years of Aikido to learn Aikido's best moves, and even then, if you told somebody about them, that person might need five years of Aikido training to master those moves. I do think that a Jeet Kune Do martial artist could go through Karate styles at a fairly brisk speed, perhaps at a rate of one style per year, but certain styles would take more examination to discern what is the very best at their fundamental core. I would be cautious to study styles as a JKD practitioner because sometimes what works best for you in the beginning might not be what works best for you a few months later in your training when you have made a few more training breakthroughs. I would be reluctant to discount something that others can use effectively just because it didn't suit my personality - I think this is essentially what Bruce Lee was doing when he eliminated the things that didn't work for him. It wasn't that he didn't have two arms and two legs that worked like everybody else's, it was just that he didn't like certain things. But tastes in martial arts techniques change, and even a person's favorites can change with added repetitions and deliberate effort. JKD appears to one of the most successful styles around, but I think people sometimes move past things that they encounter before they get good enough to apply those teachings like the people they are learning them from. Truly, I would say that each decision has to be taken on a careful case-by-case basis. Whatever works for one person should work for anyone else, really, if the second person can wrap their head around the idea. Doing that is another matter. What do you think, ying&yang? I don't mean to disagree with you, but I think that discerning what works for oneself can be a hard decision sometimes.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo