• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring MMA and grappling against the same guy.

I had an instructor once who said that the bad side to sparring was that it tends to develop your best techniques, whether it is one or two favored things, and lead you away from becoming more well-rounded. Practicing all the techniques of the general curriculum is good for developing versatility, and having more options makes your real weaknesses a secret. Flexible skill sets tend to make people less vulnerable, I think. Since you seem to have less of an advantage at striking from a stand-up position, according to your original post, I would recommend some controlled sparring sessions or randori matches with your partner in which you both agree not to take the fight to the ground. This can give you significantly more time learning to apply the tricks that you need to apply to get an advantage when doing martial boxing. If for no other reason, think of it this way: strikers can face multiple attackers more easily than grapplers who entangle their own bodies with the bodies of their opponents. As for endurance, swimming and raquetball are considered some of the best sports to engage in for efficient results, but even marathon aerobics sessions will get the job done. Martial arts themselves are not as efficient as pure exercise activities are at building many aspects of fitness, like flexibility, strength, and endurance. One good endurance tip is to conscientiously learn to fight at reduced power - 70% to 95% of your regular effort can save you enough endurance to last another half minute to a minute, possibly, depending on how vigorously you exert yourself. And developing greater efficiency in your overall body dynamics is very good for helping people fight longer. If you talk honestly with your friend, you may discover that he uses tactics that deliberately get you to use your energy faster than he does; at the very least, he might be able to offer some positive suggestions on how you can fight him better. Martial artists with the best attitudes share such information with their friends. Good luck.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Johnlogic has some great points. Sounds like your cardio should be pretty good with a work out like you mentioned. Another thing that will burn you gas up is nerves. Going into a sparring session thinking about what need to be avioded or needs to be done, also getting aggrovated during a fight will fautige you as well. You may not think you a stressing going into your sparring phase but subconcinsely you may be. I've had this happen to myself before and not realize it until I talked to one of the high ranked guys I sparred with. Take a few minutes to decide how you want to fight that night and you set the pace of the fight. Your partner is wise enough to set a pace he knows that you will fold under cardio wise. You can learn alot about fighting just by talking to a more experinced fighter.

Well , I was told by advanced guy that I tend to use my strenght too much sometimes instead a good technique , but they also told me that I did improve but I need to improve much more on that.

I should do more plyometrics...I do some in the training , but it is not inaff maybe... Im far away from being explosive :( ... That is very obvius in my takedowns,.

I made another thread with a video of the last fight... check it if you can

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´