• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring MMA and grappling against the same guy.

I have a friend who trains with me grappling and mma.... He is around my weight ( +195 lbs ) and he is a skilled grappler. When we roll , he generally gets a dominant position but has problems to submit me -he wins by submision 1/5 fights aprox ) , maybe because I have very flexible joints and I do weights almost every day ( and sometimes I can do a sweep or reversal and get a mount or side control , but it does not last much time . He re gains control).

When we sparr MMA , the fight is more head to head. We do full contact when standing ,full submisions , and mid. power punches to the head in the ground.

The last fight...I rushed him with jabs and low kicks then I got a double leg ( I never can do that in a grappling match against this guy)...I got a mount and when I was punching his face , I could get him in a Kimura..and he barely escaped.... I have been in bad situations during the fight..but it ended in a draw...

We fought 3 rounds of 10/12 min aprox.... I asked to finish it because I had no more air ( this dude is charged with duracell). I discovered that I am much better with ground and pound and with sprawl and bowl than with subs...

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Today we grappled again...and the same thing....He dominates 70 % of the sparring match......

And I have lost badly against another guy....... I feel bad because I do a good match the first 2 mins...but I ran out of gas against better figthers cuz I got to use my 110 % :(...losing sucks.

Tnx cross..but this second guy is big a 30 yo guy but many grappling and body building years of training..... He destroyed me like a rag doll in the mma sparring match... Plus..I just came from 2 months of traveling and hollydays ( just training weights at hotels ,etc)...

Its very ugly when you lose like that... he gave me tons of knees from side control..then mounted me and choked me after some mins....

I am strong..but I turn weak after several mins of sparring....I need to gain air !

I WANNA WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep rolling like you are, and your endurance should get better. I congratulate you, though, because there is no way I could go that long.

I would take some time to break some things down with this guy, and work on some situations, and see if that helps you to improve as well.

If he is better on the ground than you keep standing up. Okay if you get tackled then you have go to ground but fight the fight that you fight best and that he fights worst.

Try not to hit him unless it will hurt him because that is how you get tired. I think a big factor is fitness okay if you keep doing what you are your fitness will improve but so will his so you got to do extra. Generally once people are tired they are easy targets

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

The main problem yesterday was that....I always train MMA in the mornings...and the gym was empty at that time ( we are on hollydays ).so I went to night training....But I drank beer and ate peanuts , cheese and salami with my college friends before...

I was REALLY sloppy and tired

You're endurance will come but it never hurts to and a run or some rope work. Do you guys ever work any technique before sparring?

1)The weird thing is that...I can jump rope or run for long time . But I get more tired when fighting hard. I need to be more ´´explosive ´´

2) yes...random average day of training is something like this

a) We run around the gym for 15 mins , with sorpresive push ups , situps , leaps..etc ( it can be more )

b) We do thai pad work 25 mins ( some days it will be more and the grappling technique less)

c) we do grappling technique , 40 mins ( more or less )

c) sparring 30 , 40 mins ( grappling 60 % , 25 % mma , %15 striking alone . May vary , but grappling is the strong point of the school)

Sparring is the last thing ! So... Nobody is in his 100 %. It is done to get more air and to get used to fight tired......