• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice - How to answer the phone

I agree with Patrick here. No matter whether you tell them or not, they're going to find out what the price is and when they do, whether its on the phone or at your school, if its not what fits they're budget they're still not going to do it. so give them a general price and maybe elaborate alitte on your other options, it may spark the conversation and make it less awkward.

at one of my school's, the owner has all dojo calls transfered to his cell phone(no idea how he does it though) but he answers and and just say "bridgewater martial arts". and usually the person on the other end will start asking the appropiate questions themselves(i.e. who am i speaking with, what they're calling for...etc). try not too sound too much like a business, the less excessive unecessary talking you do, the less sketchy you sound. just think about your approach, if you could compare it to that of a grocery store, than you may want to take a less 'scripted' approach. good luck.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Unless you were the only game in town/the only game in town I was interested in (i.e. if I was insistent upon a certain martial art and you were the only one offering it), I would be skeptical that approach and of coming to your location to find out what the price was. So, for better or for worse, I'd just tell them the price, even if you aren't the cheapest. If people are going to go for the cheapest, they are going to do it, anyway.

They may just be asking the price to see if you fit into their budget. Most people who love the martial arts can't spend endless amounts of money on it, so everyone has a budget, big or small. But, at least if you tell them your price, you're still in the running. If you need to ask a question to get the right price, you could do that "Is this for an individual membership or a family membership?" (that sort of thing).

But, like Brian alluded to, most people expect to be able to get pricing information over the phone for this sort of thing. Just like I would expect any form of teaching, instruction, education, recreation or professional service to be able to tell me what their rates were, over the phone (or, at least, for them to send me the information via regular mail or the internet), I'd expect the same of a martial arts club/school.

Good luck. :)

Patrick

point well taken.... I can't win them all, and if I had called any other fitness place they'd just tell it as it is anyways. So my goal is not so much what about cost, but more focused on why I beileve is this the style to learn. (need a new tatic) - this does ease my paranoia when I come to think about it

Thanks Patrick

New tatic -

I have an idea on not so much a "scripted" converstion but a structured one. General its set up as such

(greeting)

1. who is this for

2. what are your goals

- this should give me an idea on what program will fit them

3. if they inquire cost, short discussion on program (rather talk more in person but thats me)

4. have them come in a for a trial run

But I admit this may not always turn out as a plan, but the structure sounds better than the script... agree, disagree?

New tatic -

I have an idea on not so much a "scripted" converstion but a structured one. General its set up as such

(greeting)

1. who is this for

2. what are your goals

- this should give me an idea on what program will fit them

3. if they inquire cost, short discussion on program (rather talk more in person but thats me)

4. have them come in a for a trial run

But I admit this may not always turn out as a plan, but the structure sounds better than the script... agree, disagree?

it sounds a lot better. just remember, let the conversation flow, as long as you pick up the phone and let them know what they've called and answered their questions, you've done your job.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

No problem. :) Glad it helped.

I agree with what NewEnglands_KyoSa just said. Ideally, I'd tailor the conversation around them and not so much around what you think they may need to know. In other words, answer their questions and don't seem like there are points that have to be made.

If they have specific goals they are looking to accomplish and they want to ask you about them, they will. For example, they may ask, "I'm looking to defend myself. Can you do that?" or "I'm looking for a good art for my 8 year old - is your art good for kids?" And then that will give you an opportunity to share with them more about your school. But, when you do it without them prompting you, you risk coming across as forceful or pushy. So, I'd just let them ask the questions.

If they only ask about pricing, after giving them their answer, you could simply say that if they have any questions, they are welcome to ask you. So, for example:

You: Hello, this is .

Them: Hi, I was wondering: what are your rates?

You: Our rates are this for this, this for this and this for this. We teach and if you have any questions about it, please feel free to ask me.

(I would probably have the pricing part scripted, at least casually, to ensure that it is both 100% complete (no hidden fees) and as short as it can be. If your rate system is so complicated that you have more than 5 different rates or so, I'd just say "We have a number of different programs. Could you tell me a bit about the person who would be attending?" or something like that. But, keep it as short as you can, really).

And, at this point, they'll probably either thank you and say good bye or they will ask a question. But, by placing them in control of the call (or, at least, perceived control), you'll probably be more likely to put them at ease.

I'd say the most important things are to speak slowly, kindly and be receptive to what they say, rather than trying to pull information out of them unprompted.

Just my thoughts. :) Good luck.

Patrick

Its all about confidence , and a good idea is to have some info next to the phone.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with patrick above. Most people who already have a price in their head really dont care what your rates are as long as they meet their expectations, so why bother?

As far as avioding the price question, I've seen plenty of people do it every time, and have successfuly done it a few times myself, but I have like a 90 something percent success rate when I'm just honest and come out with everything.

• 3 months later...
Yes, its a strange topic but I feel it is a very important one. I have no problem speaking to people - person to person, however, I tend to have trouble with answering the phone.

My own instructor has been teaching me on how to do this (be the one to ask the questions, get them to come in, etc.) and we play the game where he'll call me as a potential student and I need to get him to come visit my business. I end up at a loss for words and the cost question throws me off the most

Advice, tips, anything helps... how do you do it? I'm not looking to copy anyone but I would like an idea on how to do this. Especially since I'm a female whos going to open a business, and my stuff has to be good

1) Relax - it is a phone conversation so they can't see your face while you think. Take your time - one breath at a time - one word at a time.

2) Listen - When people talk, listen to them. Then answer their questions, and only their questions. If you do number 1, then this one will be easy.

3) Smile - It doesn't have to a fake smile - you are talking to someone who has called you to ask you about your favorite subject - your fight club! So smile - they will hear it in your voice, and it will make your voice much more attractive.

If you can follow these three rules, you'll do well.

Oh yeah:

4) DON'T TAKE OFFENSE - Seriously, people out there really don't know much when they call sometimes. They might not even realize what kind of talk and behavior could be offensive to you as a representative of your club. Take your time and explain everything and have fun with the conversation. Most people are genuinely courteous anyway, so you won't need number 4 often. But when it comes up - let things slide.

-Dwayne