• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice - How to answer the phone

Yes, its a strange topic but I feel it is a very important one. I have no problem speaking to people - person to person, however, I tend to have trouble with answering the phone.

My own instructor has been teaching me on how to do this (be the one to ask the questions, get them to come in, etc.) and we play the game where he'll call me as a potential student and I need to get him to come visit my business. I end up at a loss for words and the cost question throws me off the most

Advice, tips, anything helps... how do you do it? I'm not looking to copy anyone but I would like an idea on how to do this. Especially since I'm a female whos going to open a business, and my stuff has to be good

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are some um...I don't remember what they are called. But it's like a flow chart. What to say when you answer, how to respond to the normal questions, all leading toward having them come into the school. They are available online, I just don't remember where I found one. I would just search for one of the professional martial arts instructors websites. Theres a bunch of them. I'll see if I can find the one I saw before.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Might help if you have some info handy by your phone, like costs, class timetables etc. then when it doesn't come off the top of your head its easy enough to find and talk through. Also if you prepare some FAQs and answers then when you get asked stuff you have a basic answer to start with.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

While I am not a big fan of them, a lot of people have great success with "phone scripts."

Basically write out how you will answer the phone, note the most FAQ's with information on how to answer, and determine what your goal is. Do you just want to provide information? Do you want to get them in the door for an intro class?

The trick is to make this sound natural, otherwise it will sound like a telemarketing pitch - and no one likes that. :-)

Matt

So lets say one of you guys were to call me at my business and ask "How much do you cost?"

Would you feel like I'm avoiding the question, or trying to be sincere and learn more about you (I'm really aiming at the latter of the two) if I were to say

"First can I get your name?"

(John)

"Alright John, tell me what intrests you about the martial arts?"

Yes I know I have just avoided the cost question, but I don't want to be judged on cost alone, because that would make for a really short conversation, and I'm working on learning more about him.

Would a reply like that come off as a sales pitch or just someone who is curious about you

So lets say one of you guys were to call me at my business and ask "How much do you cost?"

Would you feel like I'm avoiding the question, or trying to be sincere and learn more about you (I'm really aiming at the latter of the two) if I were to say

"First can I get your name?"

(John)

"Alright John, tell me what intrests you about the martial arts?"

Yes I know I have just avoided the cost question, but I don't want to be judged on cost alone, because that would make for a really short conversation, and I'm working on learning more about him.

Would a reply like that come off as a sales pitch or just someone who is curious about you

Its sounds better than "I don't discuss prices over the phone". What do you do when he asks the question a second time?

For me once I hear "I or we don't discuss prices over the phone" I know your school that is part of EFC or some other kind of professional MA organiazation. So with that comes contracts and other fees. I don't want anythinng to do with you.

Basicly, if there are options do I really want to start labeling out a bunch of prices over the phone... (even I would be turned off by that)

So its probably a good idea that mention in there that I will discuss the price, but there are options - come and explore them.

If I said that to you (in different wording of course) does it feel like your question has been answered with extra insentive to check it out further?

Or did that come off as a sales pitch?

If I were to ask the cost question, and then you tried to change the subject, I would suspect that you were jerking me around, and I would probably end the conversation right there. When I ask a question, I like a straight answer, and so do most people. I understand that you don't want to turn them off when it comes to cost, but the fact is that most people are not willing to spend a substantial amount of their budget on something that they may be looking to do for fun and exercise.

Ok so tell me if this a good 'mock' conversation - am I on the right track

(phone rings)

"Hello, (school name) this is Dannyl, how can I help you?"

"Yes, how much do you cost"

"Well, we have several different payment plans.. tell me is this for yourself or for a friend/ relative/ child"

"For myself"

"Ok, and what are your goals in learning martials arts"

"Well, I would like to get into shape and learn self-defense"

"Ok then, well our school teaches a wide variation of joint locks, kicks, punches (etc.) that will work the entire body as well as warm-up workout, why don't you come in for a free private lesson to try it out? We can discuss our various plans and see if it is something you would like to pursue"

...... then I would get there information if there intrested

Heres what I am worried about, and its the reason why I ask all these questions

If I were to list off a ton of prices, don't most people want to save money so go cheaper, maybe I'm not the cheapest in town. So I lose my business but I honestly believe what I teach is very effective

So why don't I lower my price? Because I need to support a school, equipment, myself, and insurance.

What can I say that doesn't make it sound evasive, I just want people to try before they buy

**I really appreciate the advice everyone has given me so far, thank you guys! **

Unless you were the only game in town/the only game in town I was interested in (i.e. if I was insistent upon a certain martial art and you were the only one offering it), I would be skeptical that approach and of coming to your location to find out what the price was. So, for better or for worse, I'd just tell them the price, even if you aren't the cheapest. If people are going to go for the cheapest, they are going to do it, anyway.

They may just be asking the price to see if you fit into their budget. Most people who love the martial arts can't spend endless amounts of money on it, so everyone has a budget, big or small. But, at least if you tell them your price, you're still in the running. If you need to ask a question to get the right price, you could do that "Is this for an individual membership or a family membership?" (that sort of thing).

But, like Brian alluded to, most people expect to be able to get pricing information over the phone for this sort of thing. Just like I would expect any form of teaching, instruction, education, recreation or professional service to be able to tell me what their rates were, over the phone (or, at least, for them to send me the information via regular mail or the internet), I'd expect the same of a martial arts club/school.

Good luck. :)

Patrick