• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training grappling without...grappling

No, it isn't a zen koan :dodgy:

I've actually been out of training for awhile since I caught a REALLY nasty bug that ended up with me 5 days in the hospital last week. Fortunately, I am much better, however unfortunately I've been told that contact sports are a no go until about April (unless I want one or more of my internal organs to explode...too much information I know). So what to do? I'm out for 2 months- how do I train judo?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This would be a great time to mentally preform the technique you know. Perform each technique you know step by step using visualsation, I found this helps with kata. You could also take this time to work on foot work. This gives you time to see if you have anything that's out of wack. Visualisation if nothing else.

This would be a great time to mentally preform the technique you know. Perform each technique you know step by step using visualsation, I found this helps with kata. You could also take this time to work on foot work. This gives you time to see if you have anything that's out of wack. Visualisation if nothing else.

Good ideas. Jay has a good idea, too. In Loren Christensen's book Solo Training 2 he covers quite a few exercises that grapplers can do with a heavy bag on their own. You may look into it; he as some good suggestions.

You can still practice your throws can't you? You just can't be an uki until then. Though I know you're in Japan and am not sure how understanding they would be of that mentality. You know the culture better than I do. Simply drill techniques. No randori, and no being thrown.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Dunno- the teachers are different every day and although Judo is more casual than other martial arts, I don't want to spend 40 bucks ( :bawling: ) to find out if they will let me just be the throw guy or not. Plus I don't want to have to clear it with every other student as well. I guess I'll just have to see if my friends won't mind too much :D Really, though, it is frustrating as a 2 month interruption doesn't help proficiency. I might check to see if I can do a little BJJ since it isn't high impact and at least will help with my ground game

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I've actually been out of training for awhile since I caught a REALLY nasty bug that ended up with me 5 days in the hospital last week. Fortunately, I am much better, however unfortunately I've been told that contact sports are a no go until about April (unless I want one or more of my internal organs to explode...too much information I know). So what to do? I'm out for 2 months- how do I train judo?

- Watch training DVD's / Vids

- Work movement drills - Granby rolls, etc,

- Work flexibility - yoga

- Work Strength - weights

- Work Cardio - Interval training (Taku's Intervals)

well you should go over your moves , and strebghten your technique. Also workout get your body moving , and then in april ull be already to kick some butt. lol

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 months later...

Uchi Comi with a rubber tube against the wall.