• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does blackbelt mean?

Most systems if they have rankings will have a blackbelt rank. But what does it mean to you? Master of the arts or just another step along the chain?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question. I have to say if i am answering this honestly it doesnt mean a lot to me nowdays im afraid. When I see people that have just paid their way to blackbelt or acheived it in 1 year then it just degrades the meaning of the belt. I dont really believe in rank anymore.

I suppose answering your other question black belt really is when you start to refine your skills. I mean your basics should be very good at this point and this is when you really pick up the subtle things. I think it is just a step along a long chain because you cant call yourself a master when you are still learning. Master implies faultlessness as you are still learning you cannot be a master. To sum up for me it means expert of the basics.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Sometimes it seems like there are more black belts than white belts. Yes, at one time 'in the good old days' (although I believe that the top quality guys now are better then the top guys from back when) getting a black belt was more often than not a grueling affair which meant you put in your time getting the blood stains out from your gi and did a lot of hard training. Again, I believe that the top MA'ers now are better quality than the old in general....however I don't see how you could argue that blackbelt status hasn't been watered down at the same time. Too many places have 'black belt clubs', 6 year old 3rd degrees, etc. Many to most martial artists have very little experience against resisting opponents, and getting to the coveted belt many times means little more then paying your fees on time. Thus the old threat of 'I'm a blackbelt', while at one time might have meant something, means little now. In fact if someone says that, I might be even less worried fighting them. So if it doesn't mean that you are a good fighter with your system, what does it mean? Frankly I don't know. Some say that it means your training has just begun. For the guy who got his belt in 6 months- yeah. But what about the guy who worked really hard for 6 years? Is he really 'just starting to learn'? The same issue comes up for saying that it means you've mastered the basics, are ready to teach the system, etc. I guess it boils down to a case by case basis- a blanket statement is hard to make.

...which of course means I have to make one :) ! Due to the inconsistencies in requirements and the cheapening of the title, I'd have to say that it means almost nothing. Think of it this way: if 80% of all teams 'won' the super bowl, would it still be the biggest game in (American) football? If your team never scored well- but tried its best for 5 years, should it be given the title of super bowl winner for effort?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Black belt means you have an understanding and ability to perform what is required by the particular system to obtain that rank.

Obviously you didn't appreciate the American football analogy...we all know what REAL football is but we choose to ignore it :bdaybiggrin:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

At kyu level, getting black belt meant everything. At black belt, it means going back through and really learning and refining technique. I used to feel at times that there were individuals who really werent ready to test for their shodan level, but it wasnt my decision. If black belt was their ultimate goal, they would then leave the dojo and discontinue their training. If the individual stayed dedicated to the school, their training, and got involved in teaching, the difference in their shodan testing to their nidan testing was immense! Shodan to me is white belt again. Black belt means you never stop learning, never stop trying to get better.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Perhaps it depends who you train with.

If you are one of few dan grades in a club of kyu grades, then I suppose that’s a different feeling than being a first dan in a club of more senior dan grades.

Sure you have achieved a lot, but your still a bit rubbish really... compared to how could be you could be.

Technically I think dan grades are as good if not better than those of days gone by. Whether they are as hard?? Well that’s another matter.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Black belt means you have learned all the techniques in the curriculum well enough to pass a test. It's just another milestone on the journey as now you spend the rest of your life trying to perfect said techniques.

I think that a lot of people answer this question differently when they are approaching the rank of black belt than they do after they have been a black belt for some time.

To me, it is kind of an indication of longevity. It shows that I have stuck it out for quite some time now. Many people think that earning the black belt is just the beginning. I kind of adhere to this philosophy a little bit. I don't like seeing people who's only goal is to earn their black belt, and then they quit. There is so much more afterwards. However, I do believe that once you obtain your black belt, there starts to become less and less that an instructor can show you, and more and more that you can learn for yourself. I am not saying that you should ditch your instructor after achieving 1st dan, or that you should no longer listen to your instructor. I do think that more free thinking should begin at this stage, and you as a student begins to truly make your Martial Art your own. I guess this what they mean when they say that it is "the beginning."