• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why no wrist locks in BJJ?

I've been rolling alot lately and I find myself seeing lots of oppurtunities to use wrist locks in and out of the guard.

Do you know if any system of BJJ uses them? I've seen Bas Rutten use them very effectively on the ground.

Curious.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. BJJ uses them. They just aren't allowed in competition. Schools that focus on BJJ for self defense use them regularly though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Some orginasations consider it small joint maniputaltion and some deam it too dangerous the same with some leg locks. You'll find a few tournies that allow wrist locks. I often use them to set up other subs. Bait if you will.

They're not allowed in NHB either right?

They are allowed in NHB but with the way the fighters wrap their hands and the gloves are eigther tied on or have wrist wraps of their own. These factors make it very difficult to secure a wrist lock. Royce Gracie beat Chad Rowan via wrist lock at K-1 - Premium 2004 Dynamite.

Wrist locks have a sort of negative reputation in the MMA field (of which BJJ is a huge part), mostly because a lot of unrealistic disarms and the like rely on them. Also, many times it is easier to score an arm bar (which is often more incapacitating anyhow) then a wrist lock- especially standing. However to dismiss them outright is not good. I've personally witnessed someone who crossed over from hapkido into bjj pull off a classical wrist lock against a surprised opponent while rolling.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Good question! I have no idea. I know that we learn some anyway, but they are definitely not tournament-legal.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Wrist locks are awesome if you do them right. They work really well in stand up even if the hands are wrapped. If you are good at throws even when the opponent resists the wrist lock you already have them in a vulnerable position. The wrist locks up the opponents elbow and shoulder which in turn bends the spine, causing your balance to be off. You can also transition to a standing americana if you'd like. I'm all about doing what other people don't train. I think this way BJJ will grow. I think it has grown alot since the first UFC's. I still feel there are effective grappling methods and throws that aren't being explored in MMA.

I do luta livre ( no gi Sub. wrestling ) and we use them in sparring and in tournamentes....we also allow neck cranks... ( but not finger manipulation )

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´