• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Veteran black belt joins new MA style - status?

Takeda Shingen

Well, I see what you are saying, but their rank from the other style should get some recognition, due to their knowledge. If you want to make them work through the ranks of the new style, then that is fine. But they should still have some recognition, I think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree @bushido, I think that is best for both student and dojo. I simply thing that in most cases the accelerated advancement is that recognition and if something else is desired, that practicality should be a concern. We obviously wouldn't want to give them a patch in a school that doesn't wear patches, or tie yarn around their neck.

I am interested to know what your opinion is on what that recognition should be. I recieved a verbal introduction to my class when I was in this position. Or were you thinking some sort of designation on their gi? Of course, one's knuckles can give one away to a skilled practitioner...

I see what you are getting at, and it isn't unlike anything I have had to do. I went from being a 2nd dan black belt in one TKD organization, and had to start over when I joined another. So I know what you are getting at.

Here is a different thread that I started on a similar subject. It may give you an idea of what I think: http://www.karateforums.com/outside-style-practitioners-working-out-in-your-school-vt33277.html

The idea of introducing the person to the class isn't a bad one Techbrute. Thing is to make sure the person is comfortable with that. I've been in a few places training where everything was good until the more senior students found out you had rank. Then, it's like you suddenly grew a bullseye on your chest and back. Some just feel they have to show you that they are the senior student.

A lot of what the person will want will depend completely on that person I guess. Skill level should become readily apparent within a class or two though to anyone who isn't a rank amature.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 2 weeks later...

Tough call here. If the person comes in as a white belt, then he should be expected to be treated as one. Sometimes the experienced MA will come into a school as a white belt so that they can humbled, because they want to be.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com