• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Outside style practitioners working out in your school?

Our testing fees are seperate from our monthly fees. So, it wouldn't really matter in my school. He would pay monthly rates, and follow the school rules. Like I said, though, I would love to work with different approaches on doing different things.

I think you missed my point. I'm saying your regular students start saying they will not test because they don't care about rank also. Do you continue to teach them the techniques associated with the next rank when their ready? Or do you say if you don't test then I don't teach you any of the advanced techniques past your current level? Not teaching them their next level of techniques would be unfair when your allowing someone else to train and not test just because they are from another system.

As far as our classes go, the basics that we do are the same for everyone. Then there are one-steps and forms, which I don't think the other person would do, if he wasn't going to be testing for rank. Therefore, there wouldn't really be this problem. If he wanted to show some things that he learned to me and my students, then that would be acceptable as well. I would also share information with him. The bottom line would be that I would be willing to work with him in relation to his skill level, like I do with my own students. If students don't want to test, then that is their perogative. I can't make them test. But at the same time, I wouldn't see a bunch of students staging an uprising in my school, either.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bushido man's post made me realize that a bulk of this problem revolves around the quality of the student in question.

One that was really wnating to learn with a good personality would have little trouble intergrating regardless of how it was done. One who was more interested in showing how his style was superior would be problematic no matter how the integration was approached.

"One that was really wanting to learn with a good personality would have little trouble intigrating regardless of how it was done. One who was more interested in showing how his style was superior would be problematic no matter how the integration was approached."

I do agree with this statement, we allow anyone to train with us. We usually prefer Shodan or higher, but have had several kyu ranks train with us also (presumably, for the "not so common" techniques we train in). We allow them to wear whatever belt they claim (they will undoubtedly reveal whether or not it's deserved). They pay the standard monthly fee, and attend as they please. As of yet, we've experienced no problems (22yrs of this practice). :)

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

In addition to Shujika's comments, we take a portion of their first month's dues and enroll them in the association officially.

We def do not get caught up in rank and color.

Lee Richards

Kenshukai

An OyataTe International School