• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What quality do you like to see the most in students?

I love a student who asks questions! This shows their desire to learn and keeps me on my toes. Throwing "generic techniques" out to a class accomplishes learning of curriculum but when a student chooses to make it their own I get excited!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty cool quality- what style do you teach in? I'm a bit curious :)

I'd have to say...them being a nice person. I think it would help cover most areas. I don't think I would ever get into teaching though :P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I'm sorry, but I have to butt in. As a parent who sits in on his sons class, EVERY class, I have to put my 2 cents in.

What I would like to see in a new student is maturity. We just got 2 little girls, white belts, around 8 yrs old. They must be friends, the only thing they want to do is play during class. If the instructor tells them "Kibadach"(horse stance), they can only stay in that position for 3 seconds then they start clowning around again.

The instructor likes to play a stereo during class. We have another boy that likes break dancing when no one is looking. Other kids, during a class, just wander off the matt and go sit with their mothers.

There are days when I keep thinking half the class must be ADHD.

And on the flip side, we have the youngest girl in class. She can't be more than 5 and about as tall as a grasshopper. She is perfect. She listens, she can do a horse stance and stay there and can even do a kata. She is a joy to watch compared to the other kids.

In my stundents i like to see only one thing because with this they will have no problem doing the others and that is to try hard , and as hard as they can.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I'm sorry, but I have to butt in. As a parent who sits in on his sons class, EVERY class, I have to put my 2 cents in.

What I would like to see in a new student is maturity. We just got 2 little girls, white belts, around 8 yrs old. They must be friends, the only thing they want to do is play during class. If the instructor tells them "Kibadach"(horse stance), they can only stay in that position for 3 seconds then they start clowning around again.

The instructor likes to play a stereo during class. We have another boy that likes break dancing when no one is looking. Other kids, during a class, just wander off the matt and go sit with their mothers.

And on the flip side, we have the youngest girl in class. She can't be more than 5 and about as tall as a grasshopper. She is perfect. She listens, she can do a horse stance and stay there and can even do a kata. She is a joy to watch compared to the other kids.

Right- but that's one of the reasons why I generally don't think martial arts are for children, or at least that adult and children's classes should be separate.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

That's a pretty cool quality- what style do you teach in? I'm a bit curious :)

I'd have to say...them being a nice person. I think it would help cover most areas. I don't think I would ever get into teaching though :P

I teach a blended style of TKD and Wu Gung. I agree with you on the nice person thing too....luckily I have control over whether a student stays or goes!

8)

Right- but that's one of the reasons why I generally don't think martial arts are for children, or at least that adult and children's classes should be separate.

Ahh, but this is why kids should be taught martial arts...especially these kids! Granted, it takes a patient instructor, the right program, and committed parents, but reaching the heart of these kids and making a positive impact in their lives is well worth the frustration.

8)

It is important for an instructor to understand that most kids learn differently than adults do. Classes should be tailored as such.

Yes this is true , but also everybody learns differetly aswell. And to be a good teacher you need to know this.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.