• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What quality do you like to see the most in students?

This may sound like a silly question, as there are many qualities that we like to see in our students. What I would like to know is what quality (singular, for now :wink: ) you, as an instructor or assistant, or sempai, like to see in a student, especially a new one.

I like to see a student who is willing to try hard. They may not be good, or talented, but if they are willing to give it their all, I like to see that; I can do a lot with that.

I guess work ethic is what I like to see early on.

How about you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a student who tries to do what you say. I can explain and demonstrate and help the person perform techniques correctly till I'm blue in the face, but if the student doesn't try to understand and apply what I am teaching, it doesn't do any good. I find most students pay attention fairly well and get it "mostly". But the students who really focus on the details I explain and demonstrate, are the one's who tend to "get it" sooner. I try to be such a student. One that my instructor can say "she always pays attention, and always tries to apply what I teach"

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

mine has to be, consistent effort. because if you always try, thats like 75percent of the battle. it's like grades in grade school...if a C is the best you can do, then a C is awesome, if a B is then a B is, if an A is then an A is. There not the same, but it its your best effort, that's it.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I love when a student of any age comes in and just loves what he/she is learning. They don't even have to be good at it. I just love to see them enjoy every minute they are in the dojo. It motivates me.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I love when a student of any age comes in and just loves what he/she is learning. They don't even have to be good at it. I just love to see them enjoy every minute they are in the dojo. It motivates me.
That is a good one, and a bit different from what has already been mentioned. Enjoying what you are doing definitely helps.

1. Willingness/Desire to learn

2. Work ethic

3. A desire to go above and beyond class by taking seminars or meeting with others. (I love it when a student knows more than me!)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

1. Respect.

That includes respect for rules, instructors, students, style, etc. If this is lost it can be disruptive or even dangerous. It also takes time away from the class if you have to constantly remind students to follow the set policies.

2. Effort.

Willingness to try even difficult things without giving up is nice to see in a student.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree with enthusiasm/loving what they're doing. We have some kids who really just don't quite get it, but what they do get, they love. They're an inspiration to the other students.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu