• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tougher, Faster, Stronger

I agree. When you fight, you don't rise to the occassion, you sink to the level of your training. (I think that might be a Lt. Col. Grossman quote, Cross, but I can't remember for sure. ).

Grossman it is buddy. :) And a good quote.

Hehe, I'm sharper than I thought!

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

When fighting a street fighter who has no training in any form of martial arts, but does have an extreme amount of combat experience, and who is also more fit then you . . .

If I understand you right, Aces Red, it's that you're already in a fight. It's not that he's someone to watch out for, someone you keep an eye out for that he'll sucker punch you. You're in an altercation already. It's not clear whether you're outside, inside, or who's around--no one, his friends, a bartender . . .

No matter what shape he's in, it's the "combat experience" I'm thinking about. He likely has only a few techniques, but he's very good at them. He'll throw all he's got into a right cross, no reservations, no second thoughts. He'll kick with a front kick, and he's never kicked above the belt unless his victim is down on his knees. Then he's punched or kicked the guy in the face.

He'll likely be able to chain his punches, which he'll start off with, say a right, his stronger arm, first, and then if you block it, he'll come with the left--he won't be surprised at the block, and he won't pause with the left. The kick will be for the groin; you're dealing with a primitive mind.

[W]hat must you do to effectively defend yourself if attacked by such a person? Should you avoid grappling? What about getting within striking range if shorter?

I'd avoid grappling, where his friends (of course he has friends; he's a very entertaining guy) can stomp on you. If you fight him standing up, you can keep an eye on him and them, and they'll likely want to watch the show.

Personally, I'd make use of whatever self-defense training I have in striking to slam away. My height is 5'6", so I'm going to infight, just like when I spar. Don't stand there and slug it out with him; hit hard and try to be a moving target. You've got knees and elbows, haven't you? Good infighting tools. If you haven't practiced already, then start to practice how to kick low--such as to the knees and thighs. (If your art emphasizes high kicks, I wonder if you'll even have room for them, and the worst would be if he blocks and you go tumbling down.)

Go for the targets that end the fight quickly. There are the nose, throat, and knees as number one on the hit parade. A punch or kick to the solar plexus will knock all the wind out of him. If you need to apply a joint lock, don't do it for control because you can't control him; give it the gas.

Definitely leave, but call the police, so that you don't have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life.

An additional note; something discovered by Marc "Animal" MacYoung in a book he wrote some years back, "Cheap Shots, Ambushes . . ." Once the guy is down, he'll still yell at you, curse at you, even threaten how he'll destroy you. That's one for the psychologists to figure out.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Just like you'd fight anyone else. Like was said ealier, fight your game. I also agree with Throwdown ealier, alot of this kind of thing wil be determined by mind set.

You've got to get it in your head right now that you could face this guy in the future. You then have to harden yourself to the probiblity of getting hurt. Then you have to decide not to care, because no piece of garbage is gonna beat you when it counts. It dosen't matter what he does to you, you'll do worse to him, and walk away. Everytime you step on a mat, get it in your head that this is the kind of thing you're thinking of. Not worrying about the outcome, just worry about how much damage you can inflict in a real situation.

That being said, you have to train that way, learn to think that way. Hard, realisstic training on the mat will improve your chances not only physically, but also you mental chances of reaching that state. With more and more time practicing this, you should get to the point where this mindset kicks in when you need it.

As to the tactics, adapt to what the situation gives you. Generally, I'd try to stay up to clear out. But he may take you down, be prepared to grapple him. He might throw tremendously hard puches, but he might not recover them well. Be perpared to take cotrol of that arm and use it toyour advantage. There may be weapons....you get the idea.

Fluid mind, good tactical options, and a midset to go through him. That's it in a nutshell.

Pray! j/k :D

Seriously, I'd just do anything and everything I could to disable the attacker immediately - no matter how big they are - - - a poke in the eye, a kick in the groin, bending fingers backward to break them. An uppercut to the nose.....and then RUN.

No matter how big the person is or skilled, if you are quick enough to step in and poke them in the eye HARD, they can't see you and then yes, I'd run. Call me chicken, but I want to live.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

. . . bending fingers backward to break them.

What Tiger's written isn't often emphasized in our postings, but I remember a Chin Na video by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming.

In finger Chin Na, at least the one I used to practice, when someone reaches for you, you shoot out one hand and seize one or two of his fingers--that's all, one or two, usually the index and middle fingers. As you pull the seized fingers towards you, you seize his wrist with the other hand, and continue by stepping backwards and pulling the now bent-back fingers down to the floor. It brings whoever it is down there with his locked fingers. I imagine that, if you're good, you can have him go face down fast. You don't even have to break the fingers; he's on the floor and you've got a control lock on him. If his fingers do break, it's likely that he was resisting and did the damage to himself.

:nod:

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 3 weeks later...

It can go that way, via pain compliance.

However, I never assume that any small joint position will incapacitate an attacker enough to stop tryin to hit me in the head. Often, people get so set on delerering a "lock" that they give up all tactical awareness and then start gettting pummeled.

Small joint positon works best for: 1) controling weapons, because that's the primary be-all and end-all threat. a knife makes getting hit in the head secondary. 2) destabilizing posture, which can be momentary and hit or miss at best and 3) destruction of an appendage that will now no longer be used to threaten you.

I think those tools are important, including the finger bend yoo've described. However, at it's best, it's a limb destruction and you pop those little suckers right out of socket. This creates even greater pain compliance than merely stretching the joints around. It also, at least partaily, diables that limb. You'll have to decide at the time if the threat rises to that level of response.

On another note- I personally prefer the method where you: 1) grip the incoming fingers as described 2) use a forearm strike, like a ridge hand, to the back of the wrist to pull the hand and wrinst to your chest 3) drop your elbows to your sides and grab your bicep with your free hand (wchich just did the strking) this creates a tight position that will isolate the finger 4) lever back and break, turning to force his incoming cross away from you. 5) follow up control or move on up the body, your choice. As always, be prepared to disengage if it become apparent that the movement is not going to work.

It's just a slight variation joe, thought you might like to play with it a bit.