• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tougher, Faster, Stronger

When fighting a street fighter who has no training in any form of martial arts, but does have an extreme amount of combat experience, and who is also more fit then you -- what must you do to effectively defend yourself if attacked by such a person? Should you avoid grappling? What about getting within striking range if shorter?

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tactics should be similar regardless of the other person, because you wont really know anything about their skill until it is already being applied on you. The only difference is the level of force you use, which will be determined by the level of the threat at the time.

I think it's best to flow with him, use his energy against him, and when you see an opening, to use a technique that will instantly and temporarily immobilize him or knock him out.

I that type of situation I would try to get the fight going at my pace and fight the way I would any other person as mentioned above. You want to end this situation quickly. If you are very confident with you clinch work and throws I would go this route because throwing someone on pavement or hard packed earth is going to take the wind out of the sails. But most street fighters aren't in that great of shape even though they may appear to be. These guys what people to fear them but rarely do they train in anything other than too much tv and web surfing.

You will want to fight your fight. If they have a lot of experience, then it is probably going to be a rough go. Fight dirty; cheat first, cheat last, and cheat in the middle. Every chance you get, cheat. Kick them in the knee; then in the leg. Kick the other knee. Run away fast.

You will want to fight your fight.

I agree totally!

Part of the problem with many martial artists is they practice one way and then say they would do it differently on the street. In the military we have a saying, "You fight as you train and train as you fight." It's absolutely true. If you try to change the way you do things when you are suddenly faced on the street, you will lose badly.

To answer your question directly... You should do what you train to do. I would do what I've trained to do. I don't care who the guy is or how many fights he's been in. I'm gonna hit him hard and choke him unconscious. And if he's untrained, there's not gonna be anything he can do to stop it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Fight dirty; cheat first, cheat last, and cheat in the middle.

Hock? :D

Yes. :D

Part of the problem with many martial artists is they practice one way and then say they would do it differently on the street. In the military we have a saying, "You fight as you train and train as you fight." It's absolutely true.

I agree. When you fight, you don't rise to the occassion, you sink to the level of your training. (I think that might be a Lt. Col. Grossman quote, Cross, but I can't remember for sure. :wink: ).

I agree. When you fight, you don't rise to the occassion, you sink to the level of your training. (I think that might be a Lt. Col. Grossman quote, Cross, but I can't remember for sure. ).

Grossman it is buddy. :) And a good quote.

When fighting a street fighter who has no training in any form of martial arts, but does have an extreme amount of combat experience, and who is also more fit then you --

Im interested to know how you would be able to determine all this about another person effectively?

what must you do to effectively defend yourself if attacked by such a person? Should you avoid grappling? What about getting within striking range if shorter?

The main thing to avoid, is a match fight type situation. Rarely will you see 2 people square off and get ready to fight unless, both people agree to it. The idea is to not let yourself be placed in this type of "dueling" situation with the use of dialog and adopting a non-threatening position. From there you have a pretty good chance of avoiding the situation altogether, and if not you have access to pre-emptive strikes which will give you an advantage right off the bat. Or worst case scenario defensive techniques that will hopefully get you back in the fight.