• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Parent could use some advice.

My sons Sensei, how do I say this, "insists" parents buy MA supplies from him. I'm the first one to admit I'm into saving a buck. I'm always looking on the internet.

I'm looking at some Ringstar sparring shoes for my son. The Sensei sells them for approx. $70. I just found a web site that sells the exact same shoe for $30+$5 shipping.

I may upset the Sensei, but I can't see loosing $35.

Any other instructors have the same rule? What would you do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honestly, there in no rule that says you have to buy anything, but the schools uniform from your sensei. I would not feel bad buying the shoes at all and then if asked, explain why, maybe he will start looking for bargains and start selling for less. many studios sell their own stuff, but i havent heard of one that tends to force you to buy their stuff, it just sounds kinda desperate, but go, and bargain hunt...i would not lose 35dollars to please someone. good luck!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Never heard of it most instructors try to get their students good deals. At my dojo we pay whole sale plus shipping and we I order something for the guys I I just charge shipping and my cost. Looks like the instructor is looking to make a buck off the equipment too.

I can see the instructor trying to make a little off of the sale, the shipping has gone through the roof lately and the school owners with their wholesale accounts are taking the hit.

However, a 100% markup is pretty much crackhead prices. I would seriously look at how many advanced students this instructor has as compared to newer (less than a year) students. It seems that this guy might not be able to hold on to students and is trying to get them for all that he can while he can.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

My sons Sensei, how do I say this, "insists" parents buy MA supplies from him. I'm the first one to admit I'm into saving a buck. I'm always looking on the internet.

I'm looking at some Ringstar sparring shoes for my son. The Sensei sells them for approx. $70. I just found a web site that sells the exact same shoe for $30+$5 shipping.

I may upset the Sensei, but I can't see loosing $35.

Any other instructors have the same rule? What would you do?

Talk to him, tell you found the same shoe for half, and ask if he can give you a better price.

Buy the shoes on the internet, and if he gets upset about it, and threatens punishment, then tell him you would be happy to take your monthly dues elsewhere, too.

I'm going to have to disagree with most of the responses so far. I think a sensei has the right to insist that you buy from him. I'm not saying he should, but he has a right to.

It's his dojo. He has expenses to cover. He bases his rates on having equipment sales. He's responsible for the safety of his students. If he sells you a product, he knows where it came from.

Your sensei's markup does seem pretty high, but, maybe that's partially offset by a better guarantee or return policy. What if it doesn't fit right? Will your sensei exchange it at no extra charge? What if the sole starts to peel away after a month? Do you trust him to take care of you?

And if you attend his classes, aren't you agreeing to follow his rules? If you can't, maybe you should find another dojo.

I'm not a sensei. I'm in martial arts supply, so maybe I'm biased. I've spoken to a lot of our customers about this. Few require that students buy from them. Of those that do, they tend to take it very seriously. I've had customers refuse to let their students use equipment purchased from outside sources.

Whichever way you decide, I hope it works out for you.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Counting on retail sales to make your bills is bad business in my opinion. Retention and new students are your bread and butter....retail is a bonus. I suggest to my students that they buy from me as I can give them a better deal on most equipment but I never make it a requirement nor do I make them feel obligated. They should want to support their school because it is a great place to train and they should develop a sense of loyalty because of the way they are treated as students.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

If anyone is interested. I bought the shoes from the Sensei. I gave in and figured If my son might need something out of the ordinary somewhere down the line, the Sensei might be more willing to help out.

No re-percussions, no bickering, just a happy kid. Thats all that matters to me.

(Accepting roundhouse kicks to the rear if required) :dodgy:

Counting on retail sales to make your bills is bad business in my opinion. Retention and new students are your bread and butter....retail is a bonus. I suggest to my students that they buy from me as I can give them a better deal on most equipment but I never make it a requirement nor do I make them feel obligated. They should want to support their school because it is a great place to train and they should develop a sense of loyalty because of the way they are treated as students.

8)

Well put! I am not required to buy from my instructor, but I do to support the dojo. He always guarentee's his products and if there ever is a problem, it is rectified quickly at no cost to me.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.