• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Okinawan Artists...

NewEnglands_KyoSa

wow, thank you for sharing that! i think that's a great rank system for yudansha put together by your soke, you are entirely right, physical rank, and a teaching titles are literally black and white! again, thanks for sharing, and congrats on your 43 years in the arts, i hope all 43 have been great to you! :karate:

You're very welcome as I'm glad you enjoyed our rank system!

Yes; ALL 43 years have been great to me, thank you!!!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nago-san,

On a film I have of Kanei Sensei he is seen wearing a red belt. This film was taken during his performance at the Budokan up on the Mainland. I can't fix the date (late 60's? Early 70's?) but will try with a bit of research.

I didn't see a red belt in UechiRyu before or after that particular event (maybe he wore it only for that performance?).

Not sure if he had been awarded his 10th Dan by a Japanese association by then, or after. I do know he was awarded a 10th Dan by the Okinawa KarateDo Federation after the Japanese award (a few months after, I think).

Can the Uechi Family comment on this bit of history in the ranking / belt system of UechiRyu?

Thanks.

"Don't teach the answers, teach the understanding."

Seizan

I mean no disrespect to either of you...NONE WHATSOEVER!!!! If I've offended either of you in any shape, way, and/or form I do sincerely apologize to both of you!!! Please forgive me!!!!!!! I know that both of you were just curious and that neither of you meant any disrespect or the like! I believe in my heart that you've meant no harm and I took no offense. Again, If I've offended either of you I ask for forgiveness for I'm truly sorry! After 43 years of the question, I've grown tired of it!

In return I as well meant no disrespect. I was trully interested in your ranking system and what the system is. I have been on Okinawa for around 21 years and always welcome new information. This is a rough place to hang out if you have grown tired of questions. For it is through the questions we ask eachother from which we learn.

My Ryu/Ha = Dai Shindokan-Ryu Karate-Do Kai (Shuri-te based)

That is all I was asking. Thank you for the information.

Seizan san,

I seen one picture of him wearing the red belt. Sensei said it was taken at the time it was awarded to him. Not sure from which federation/association. Sensei said Kanei Sensei said he felt embarassed to wear the red belt and prefered his normal belt.

Can the Uechi Family comment on this bit of history in the ranking / belt system of UechiRyu?

I spoke with both Kansho and Kanji in the last couple of weeks. Both of thier schedules are crazy due to their jobs. Kanji is suppose to give me a call this month about coming to my dojo and working out on his off nights we he is not teaching or working. Let you know if it works out. I will have to speak with Sada sensei about the belts when I see him.

I mean no disrespect to either of you...NONE WHATSOEVER!!!! If I've offended either of you in any shape, way, and/or form I do sincerely apologize to both of you!!! Please forgive me!!!!!!! I know that both of you were just curious and that neither of you meant any disrespect or the like! I believe in my heart that you've meant no harm and I took no offense. Again, If I've offended either of you I ask for forgiveness for I'm truly sorry! After 43 years of the question, I've grown tired of it!

In return I as well meant no disrespect. I was trully interested in your ranking system and what the system is. I have been on Okinawa for around 21 years and always welcome new information. This is a rough place to hang out if you have grown tired of questions. For it is through the questions we ask eachother from which we learn.

My Ryu/Ha = Dai Shindokan-Ryu Karate-Do Kai (Shuri-te based)

That is all I was asking. Thank you for the information.

Nah! I've been in rougher forums! You both caught me on a bad day dealing with a sick son! I hope that my info was informative for you, and I too am always seeking new information. I agree with you on it's through questions in which we learn!

I've had a fruitful life with the martial arts and I wouldn't want to change anything; for I've loved to have served the martial arts. I'm just a student-master!

Friends?!?!?!?!?!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 months later...

most okinawan systems use the panel belts and red belts, butt i believe uechi ryu is the exceotion and uses the ranks you were talking about

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."