• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Okinawan Artists...

NewEnglands_KyoSa

I think you might be right to a certain degree. You need to research it more , im not completely sure so i wont answer a question unless im 100% sure. Sorry.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nago,

Good to see you here!

I have a photo of a Uechi-related practioner here on Okinawa. He is wearing a belt with 4 gold bars. I think he is 10th Dan, so one gold bar per rank starting with 6th Dan?

I know traditional UechiRyu's higher ranks but this is a new one on me.

"Don't teach the answers, teach the understanding."

Seizan

Seizan san,

I just purchased a belt to be sent to the states for an OkiKuKai member. It was for 9 dan and he wanted 4 stripes. Apparently this is a new thing in OkiKuKai - 4 stripes for 9th and 10th dan. I have not seen it anywhere else. They seemed to know about it at Shureido when I put the order in.

Nago,

Interesting. I guess you and I are "old-fashion"...!

I am intrigued to know sensei8's style.

Seizan

Seizan san,

I am also intersested to know the style. I am not familar with that striping system here in Okinawa although I know it is used by most mainland styles.

Seizan san,

I am also intersested to know the style. I am not familar with that striping system here in Okinawa although I know it is used by most mainland styles.

Hello to Nago and Seizan,

I will attempt to answer your question as to the best of my ability! I've learned over these past 43 years in my style to not boast and/or brag about one's Ryu, Ha, Soke, Kaicho/Sensei, Rank, Titles, and/or anything, including myself. This is due to all of the naysayers, doubters, and/or non-believers in the world largely and mainly because you and I can't/don't know all there's to know within the martial arts, matter-of-factly, we don't know everyone who's involved in the martial arts. Either of you probably haven't heard of my style, founder, lineage, my Sensei, and/or myself...That means nothing to me at all!!!! The thousands of practitioners of our Ryu know 'it' to be true and so!!!! I probable haven't heard of either one of yours' styles, founders, lineages, your Sensei's, and/or of yourselves...That should mean nothing to either of you and/or myself. I'm not curious and/or interested in knowing of either of yours and/or anyone's for that fact. I've never asked anyone about their Ryu/Ha because I've always felt that it's private to them as it's private to me. If someone volunteers the info of their own choosing, then that's their right, even though I didn't ask of them. Therefore, it's my right to not volunteer that type of private info due to the way my Kaicho instilled that belief in all of us. I just want all of us to improve within ourselves as well as increase in the betterment of the martial arts and its practitioners! Yours is as true to yourselves as mine is true to me. I've nothing to prove to anybody in the world of the martial arts. If you say "I've never heard of this, that, and/or anything;" I truly don't care, if I may be as bold to say. I'm complete in my totality!!! I'm what I claim because my Soke and my Kaicho have said so...end of story!

I mean no disrespect to either of you...NONE WHATSOEVER!!!! If I've offended either of you in any shape, way, and/or form I do sincerely apologize to both of you!!! Please forgive me!!!!!!! I know that both of you were just curious and that neither of you meant any disrespect or the like! I believe in my heart that you've meant no harm and I took no offense. Again, If I've offended either of you I ask for forgiveness for I'm truly sorry! After 43 years of the question, I've grown tired of it! To me it denotes disrespect if not asked properly.

I hope this satisfies your answer! If not, I'm sorry! We all have to learn to live with disappointments from time to time!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

wow, thank you for sharing that! i think that's a great rank system for yudansha put together by your soke, you are entirely right, physical rank, and a teaching titles are literally black and white! again, thanks for sharing, and congrats on your 43 years in the arts, i hope all 43 have been great to you! :karate:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Uh ... ahem ...

As systems evolve and change we will likely see more innovations in displaying rank via belts, stripes, bars, etc. The arts have come a long way in this regard over the past 100 years or less.

Perhaps the day will return when external indicators of rank level are seen no more, and what is required is a simple display of skill. Then one might only say of another, "He is a teacher, for sure" -- or, "I will seek instruction elsewhere".

Seizan

Uh ... ahem ...

As systems evolve and change we will likely see more innovations in displaying rank via belts, stripes, bars, etc. The arts have come a long way in this regard over the past 100 years or less.

Perhaps the day will return when external indicators of rank level are seen no more, and what is required is a simple display of skill. Then one might only say of another, "He is a teacher, for sure" -- or, "I will seek instruction elsewhere".

Uh ... ahem ...

?????????

I couldn't have agreed anymore for you're absolutely correct!!!

Perhaps, perhaps!?!?! The display of the external indicators of rank level has been a negative focus. To many are concerned with someone's rank/title and not with the skills of the Karateka! I've always said that the proof will appear on the Dojo floor!!!!!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!