• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Okinawan Artists...

NewEnglands_KyoSa

I don't know if it's an Okinawan thing or not. But, those who I've met that train in Okinawan styles seemed to be less about "blocks" and stripes of rank than some other systems.

My Shorin Ryu instructor had a nice, neat belt with a few stripes on it for going out in public. He had the older, more beat up belt with no stripes for every day class.

The sad thing about the ratty, faded belt, is that you can order them now. They are supposed to be there when you've spent so much time training as a black belt, that they are worn out and your headed back toward the white belt. You've suffered and trained enough to start completing that circle.

Now, you get it all mail order for $19.95.

really? thats really disgusting. i knew people try to fade them by 'shaving' them or hanging them off the back of a car and dragging them, or washing them but i have never heard of them getting ordered not only do i question the character of those purchasing but i question the character of those selling the belts and creating such a website. that's terrible.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's an Okinawan thing or not. But, those who I've met that train in Okinawan styles seemed to be less about "blocks" and stripes of rank than some other systems.

My Shorin Ryu instructor had a nice, neat belt with a few stripes on it for going out in public. He had the older, more beat up belt with no stripes for every day class.

The sad thing about the ratty, faded belt, is that you can order them now. They are supposed to be there when you've spent so much time training as a black belt, that they are worn out and your headed back toward the white belt. You've suffered and trained enough to start completing that circle.

Now, you get it all mail order for $19.95.

really? thats really disgusting. i knew people try to fade them by 'shaving' them or hanging them off the back of a car and dragging them, or washing them but i have never heard of them getting ordered not only do i question the character of those purchasing but i question the character of those selling the belts and creating such a website. that's terrible.

Hmmm I agree. Just out of interest, have they got a web site :lol:

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

In Okinawa if there is one stripe on both sides of the belt it is for 6th dan, 2 stripes on both sides is for 7th and 8th dan, three stripes on each side is 9th and 10th dan. Some 10th dans where the red belt, but most do not. I do not know any 10th dan in Uechi-Ryu that wears the red belt. There are no stripes on a 5th dan and below. Mainland Japanese Karate has the stripe on only one side of the belt. Each stripe represents a dan. Some associations use these systems some do not.

For Kobayashi Ryu....

1st dan - 6th: Black belt (no stripes)

7th & 8th: Red and white

9th & 10th: Red

As can be seen in the pic. In the photo ( Left to right): Daniel Simons, 6th dan (Now 7th), Takeshi Miyagi (10th dan), Jim Lilley (8th dan)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/MA%20Misc/Training15.jpg

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

For Kobayashi Ryu....

1st dan - 6th: Black belt (no stripes)

7th & 8th: Red and white

9th & 10th: Red

As can be seen in the pic. In the photo ( Left to right): Daniel Simons, 6th dan (Now 7th), Takeshi Miyagi (10th dan), Jim Lilley (8th dan)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/MA%20Misc/Training15.jpg

oh wow. an explanation and example. thanks for the clarification armanox!

oh wow. an explanation and example. thanks for the clarification armanox!

You're quite welcome.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

To my understanding the stripes are for teaching titles.

The one stripe is for Renshi usually godan to rokudan

The two stripes are for Kyoshi usually nanadan to hachidan

the three stipes are for Hanshi usually kudan to judan

in some systems only the head of the style will be allowed to be a hanshi. Although others may be qualified for that title.

If I remember correctly those using stripes to show their level dan will use red stripes.

While gold stripes are used to show the wearers teaching titles.

They donot use red and gold stripes together on one belt.

You can find an excellent article at https://www.gojuryu.net Look for the two part article named "Rank and Titles" under the Nagvigation section. Its in the second part where you'll see an explain on the stripes.

To my understanding the stripes are for teaching titles.

The one stripe is for Renshi usually godan to rokudan

The two stripes are for Kyoshi usually nanadan to hachidan

the three stipes are for Hanshi usually kudan to judan

in some systems only the head of the style will be allowed to be a hanshi. Although others may be qualified for that title.

If I remember correctly those using stripes to show their level dan will use red stripes.

While gold stripes are used to show the wearers teaching titles.

They donot use red and gold stripes together on one belt.

You can find an excellent article at https://www.gojuryu.net Look for the two part article named "Rank and Titles" under the Nagvigation section. Its in the second part where you'll see an explain on the stripes.

wow thats cool with the difference between the two and everything, i like that system. thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I possess a Hachidan within an Okinawan style that I've been involved with for 43 years thus far.

Our Soke is a Judan and wears 10 Gold Stripes on his left (heart side) tail. He's a Hanshi and wears 3 angled upward Gold Stripes on his right (humble side) tail towards the end just below the name of the style in Kanji. Our Soke says that all Yudansha from Rokudan to Judan will wear Gold Stripes for both Rank and Teaching Titles! Shodan to Godan will wear Red Stripes for Rank!

My "Kaicho" is a Kudan and he wears 9 Gold Stripes on his left (heart side) tail. He's also a Hanshi and wears 3 angled upward Gold Stripes on his right (humble side) tail towards the end just below the name of the style in Kanji.

I wear 8 Gold Stripes on my left (heart side) tail. I'm also a Hanshi and I too wear, per the instructions of my Kaicho, 3 angled upward Gold Stripes on my right (humble side) tail towards the end just below the name of the style in Kanji. My "Kaicho," Head Representative of our style, is also my Sensei; I love him with all of my heart and soul!

I'm quite familiar with the photo examples as presented in posts earlier than mine. I know that the difference is WITHIN each individual Okinawan style. Some Rank belts are plain up to Godan, and therefore that's due to the decision of one's Hombu!

Also, the Teaching Titles of Renshi, Kyoshi, and Hanshi do differ from Okinawan style to Okinawan style as far as how it's denoted, if at all, on ones Yudansha as well as to what Rank is allowed to possess a certain Teaching Title. Remember that the Teaching Title is SEPERATE from earned Rank. You can't earn a Teaching Title like one can earn a Rank. Nothing is given and Rank is earned! Tiltes are bestowed upon NOT ALL Karateka's!!!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!