• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Katas against mxa in tournaments

white owl

Thanks for all of your replys. I compete under the pkc and pkra rules. I have only had to compete with the gymnist for the first time at this past tournament but my son has in the past. they do not seem to show up at every tournament that I have been to in my area,(so far). I know that the black belt divisions have traditional and free style katas. but they so far do not have in brown belts or advance divisions or lower.

That's strange. The PKC used to have an "open" division for the xma style forms (which is where I always had to compete because of training chuan fa).

It is difficult to compare the two because they are two completely different things. It's like comparing apples to bananas.

In the future, you may want to be sure that there is an open division before you decide to compete. That way you aren't against that type of competition.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to do traditional Karate in a competition, anywhere outside the states, it is usually done under WKF regulations.

Their criteria for performing Kata is aligned with all of the major karate organisations around the world i.e. JKA, ISKA, JKF etc.

I have read many a topic on other forums about "NASKA" (North American Sport Karate Association??). Which, I gather is treated with some derision in America. It seems these are the guys that promote what is ultimately "gymnastics" in the name of Karate.

Now each to their own of course, but to me that aint karate, and getting back on topic, I wouldn't consider for a moment taking part in a competition which is labelled as an XMA (which I take it means Extreme Martial Arts).

Anyway, rant over, if you want to compete, do it on a level playing field. Ask your Sensei maybe for info on competitions within your group/style.

Sadly the tournaments in my area all fall under NASKA jurisdiction, with the exception of a few small tournaments hosted at various schools. Such tournaments, though, usually are not open for outsiders to participate. And, I've taken a lower place to the flashiness of flips and rolls a few times now in tournaments.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• 3 weeks later...

If you are in an "open" division, then most always the "flash" will win. I would recommend that for open divisions, you prepare a kata with more flash to it, to the best of your ability. And for the "traditional" divisions, stick to your traditional kata.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

If the judges are good, then they will see that the person with the strongest form and does not mess up once will be the highest ranked. I have been a judge before and i see so many judges that dont really look at the form and style , so it all dpends on the judges you get.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Kata are more for show, especially in a tourney- thus if someone is putting on a more flashy display, it doesn't matter if you have the original kata down to the last kick, they want something 'entertaining'. I agree though that XMA and regular forms shouldn't be in the same division. However you do have one advantage...XMA background music. Put some real music in there during your form and you have won in spirit, if not in the mind of the judges :wink:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I went to a competition in Melbourne about a year ago. Entered in the Traditional Forms, performed my Kushanku Kata and got walloped by some freestyler making techniques up on the spot. I might sound like a sore loser lol. But i agree that Traditional Forms should be kept to the Traditional Forms division. Alot of competitions i go to lately have a Creative Forms division, or something of the sort.

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

Although I don't compete in kata tournaments, I find the "modern" kata ridiculous. They are impressive enough as physical feats go, but flash and jumps a la wushu presentations do not qualify as martial arts in my book.

This is not intended to put anybody down, it can look impressive, I just think it is so far removed from the original purpose as to be a completely different thing. I am still baffled that the modern gymnastic katas can be in the same category...

I haven't seen it here in Denmark yet, but I'm sure it's on its way...

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Troy, thanks for the clip from youtube, it was great. I agree Night owl, Justin90, A.Orstrom. Like I said before in brown belt division or advance division they do not have xma seperate in pkc or pkra not yet at least in the black belt division they are seperated. Yes I agree it is very strange.

In the last couple of years I have noticed that most tournaments in our area have offered divisions for open forms and traditional forms. It works out nice.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.