• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Katas against mxa in tournaments

white owl

I was recently in a tornament over the weekend. I did pretty well. But I have a complaint about it. For example katas, it is little hard to compete against some one doing flips and and jumping twisting stuff, and you do a traditional kata like chinte the judge always go for the jumping twisting fliping stuff. So how do you compete with that when you are to old to learn flips and stuff like it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that XMA forms should be in a seperate division than traditional forms, but that is just my opinion. If you find out in the future that this is not the case, then I would opt not to compete.

I think that XMA forms should be in a seperate division than traditional forms, but that is just my opinion. If you find out in the future that this is not the case, then I would opt not to compete.

I agree with this. XMA is martial arts + gymnastics and acrobatics. Very few (if any) traditional forms contain these elements so its hard to compete against it if the judges are more inclined to the flashiness. If anything make your current katas more artistic by working on timing and such like. IMO a good form should be asthetic and not just practical as thats where the art side of MAs get shown. You will find it difficult to compete against XMA but then again it depends on the judges.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

well this has happened to me and i've seen it happen to others multiple times...some tournaments have a traditional division and then an open one...so look for those, but besides that, the ones that dont have separate divisions, you have to be careful of.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Like most have stated, if your in an open kata competion, most judges are going to go for the flippy guy. I've competed in weapons division with staff. Simple weapon, one of the most basic, and I knew that with a guy sporting a sword, two spears and one a three section staff I was in for a hard day. The sword guy was not that crisp or precise in his movement, but he still won. Pretty much everyone but the three sections staff guy assumed that going into the thing.

Point being that unless you are very, very good in a tournament, flash beats substance almost every time. Your kata, no matter how clean, how sharp, won't beat the guy doing the 720 inverted spin kick. Unless they are at a traditional tournament.

If it's a traditional tournament(Meaning the host style is more along the lines of JKA types than open 'karate' type style), you may have a shot. The judges at these events tend to like more traditional forms and don't really like people "adding to them" or "spicing" them up. Small, personal touches or inflections are fine. Adding a full shoulder roll into Rohai just won't do.

Also, if you can, scout the judges. The younger judges at an open tournament will tend to lean toward the XMA guys more than your older judges. Meaning the guys 45-50+ will like your traditional stuff more. At least that was my experience in tournaments. Keep in mind, this experience and advice, along with about a buck will buy you a cup of coffee. :wink:

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

If you want to do traditional Karate in a competition, anywhere outside the states, it is usually done under WKF regulations.

Their criteria for performing Kata is aligned with all of the major karate organisations around the world i.e. JKA, ISKA, JKF etc.

I have read many a topic on other forums about "NASKA" (North American Sport Karate Association??). Which, I gather is treated with some derision in America. It seems these are the guys that promote what is ultimately "gymnastics" in the name of Karate.

Now each to their own of course, but to me that aint karate, and getting back on topic, I wouldn't consider for a moment taking part in a competition which is labelled as an XMA (which I take it means Extreme Martial Arts).

Anyway, rant over, if you want to compete, do it on a level playing field. Ask your Sensei maybe for info on competitions within your group/style.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I absoulutely agree with your thoughts on this, but where are the people who want this mixing of martial arts and gymkata? Where are there cries of the extremists to be competing against martial artists? Hmm, maybe tournament promoters should consider this.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Thanks for all of your replys. I compete under the pkc and pkra rules. I have only had to compete with the gymnist for the first time at this past tournament but my son has in the past. they do not seem to show up at every tournament that I have been to in my area,(so far). I know that the black belt divisions have traditional and free style katas. but they so far do not have in brown belts or advance divisions or lower.