• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am ignorant about this art... I just know it shares some ooooold links with jujutsu and ninjistu.

But my bigger question is : why the sumo guys are portrayed as fat -fatter than the average fat -men ?

Why they dont reach that heavy weight with muscle ( like big boxers , MMA guys , wrestlers , etc?

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am not sure why they always put on weight in the manner that they do. I think it is to use the most leverage that they can. However, these guys are very strong, and very flexible. Don't mistake that, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not sure why they always put on weight in the manner that they do.

Tradition my friend! Tradition!

Um, not so sure about the ninjitsu thing...in fact I'm not even gonna touch that one. Anyhow, sumo is an old traditional wrestling style of japan that is highly ritualized and with lots of rules. The way to win is simple though: push your opponent out of the ring or get him to touch the floor with any part of the body other than the soles of the feet. As for Sumo as a martial art...it contains certain trips and the like. However as mentioned before, it is highly regulated for the purpose of tournaments. Few, if any sumo practice it for the martial roots. The few sumo who have gone into MMA however, have done very poorly.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

It probably has roots in local grappling styles which are a martial art in many cultures around the world from Europe to Africa. Many samurai were early sumo since there was little use for their talents once the warring states period ended.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Anyway...it could be tradition but it still unhealty... I have readen several articles about the cholesterol of those guys , + blood hipertension.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Yeah, I've heard that the average life expectancy for a sumo is sorter than the norm.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think that the main issue is that, given genetics, ones muscles can only get so big (natrually). However, there is less of a limit on the amount of body fat that can be stored.

• 2 weeks later...

There are still "raw" sumo-like tournaments outside of Japan, especially in Mongolia where it is said to have originally come from. Basically, from what I have seen, the two competitors try to throw each other, much like Judo.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com