bjjapprentice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotokan, if you get into the JKA, is a pretty vast organization. If you like the support that comes with an organization, then I think you will like it. As a style, I don't know a lot about it, other than what I have read. There are lots of similarities with TKD and Shotokan, so I imagine I could adapt well to it. I have been reading books on the Shotokan style and forms, and I know that some schools have applications for the movements of the forms, which would be good as well.

Shotokan is a well rounded and solid style.

It's really quite hard to explain in one post, all I can suggest is to look online and research.

But most importantly, find a good school!

Also, remember that martial arts are more about the individual than the style.

• 2 weeks later...

If you relocate at some point in your life and have the misfortune to move to a new city that doesn't have a good school of your particular style, it can mean a lot of training time down the tubes. It's far less likely to happen with Shotokan, there are clubs everywhere.

At our club we just had someone get a job in a new city and the nearest Wado school is two hours away. He just started over in Shotokan because there was a good club next door ;) Hes got a lot of stuff to unlearn. Sure, he'll progress quicker, but it'll still be a pain.

Shotokan is more linear style of martial art. Your defenses are fast and to the point. Their are numerous kata in shotokan. Each one from white on up, getting more difficult. The best way however, to learn about shotokan is go and try some classes. Most schools offer a trial membership. It would be too hard for any of us to give you our opinion. It would be biased anyways. You opinion is what really matters.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Very good style. I started my martial arts study with Shotokan and I just returned back to it personally. I was very near my first dan when I left and decided to study Kung Fu. Let me tell you that Shotokan is a excellent, traditional, solid style of Karate. There is no guessing if what you are learning is "real" because the katas have not changed. So try it out and post any questions.

I have studied Kung Fu, Judo and JJ before coming to Shotokan. While all styles are beneficial, it all boils down to what you like and what suits you best. For me, Shotokan has really been a great decision, plus, it is just about in every city all over, so if you move or transfer jobs you can find another dojo pretty quickly.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

Well you have come to the right place i have done shotokan for 23 years and it is the best form of karate in my opinion. It has alot of good stong stances and blocking technquies. A great style for a first time martial artist.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.