• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Was the Olympics the right direction for TKD?

Was making Taekwondo an Olympic event a move in the right direction for the martial art?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Was making Taekwondo an Olympic event a move in the right direction for the martial art?

• Yes
    • No

I dont know if the olympics was the best place, but I do believe in tourneys in general. cause I have heard it before in here, it is a way to validate its effectiveness and the fighters skill in TKD..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it has, and i dont think its right. I dont believe in placeing martial arts in the olympis.

Pankration, Wreslting, and Boxing were all part of the original Olympic games. Pitting man against man in competition has been around for centruies, in all kinds of feats of strength.

Thats all well and good , but i dont see martial arts as a sport , and thats what the olympis is a sporting tourament.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Thats all well and good , but i dont see martial arts as a sport , and thats what the olympis is a sporting tourament.

No offense but, punching a bag a thousand times is good and kicking is as well, even one step sparring is okay.. but, nobody will really know unless you actually fight, not punch a bag, actually spar with someone who is really going to resist and fight back... and if you mean sport, like point sparing where there is little contact than yes I agree some... but competition in general, is the best way to find out what works and what doesnt.. sport or not..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I think it all comes down to what you define "sport" as. Physical recreational activity? I bet most of us see MAs as that. Competition? Probably the first form of competiton was fighting.

Just to quote Wikipedia:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome...

Doesn't martial arts fit under that umbrella?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

No offense but, punching a bag a thousand times is good and kicking is as well, even one step sparring is okay.. but, nobody will really know unless you actually fight, not punch a bag, actually spar with someone who is really going to resist and fight back... and if you mean sport, like point sparing where there is little contact than yes I agree some... but competition in general, is the best way to find out what works and what doesnt.. sport or not..

You didn't understand my statement. I said martial arts shouldn't be allowed in the "olympics""" , not in a competative sense. I think that strickly martial arts touraments is a great idea , and follows everything you said, but u refered to sumthing i did not say.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I think it all comes down to what you define "sport" as. Physical recreational activity? I bet most of us see MAs as that. Competition? Probably the first form of competiton was fighting.

Just to quote Wikipedia:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome...

Doesn't martial arts fit under that umbrella?

This brings up an interesting point. More or less, you have probably kicked up a hornet's nest! :D But, hey! That's alright!

Many of our modern MAs have a form of sport competiton, in which we like to compete. TKD is a prime example. There are also Karate tournaments, ranging from the WKF to the Kyokushin styles. However, this is but one aspect of these styles, because most of these also have the regular class training, which usually includes self-defense training, in which there "are no rules."

Now, there are also some Martial Arts, like Boxing, that have fewer Martial applications, but you can bet that more Boxers are hitting more, and harder, in their Boxing classes than most other stylists are when doing their basics and free sparring. It just depends on the focus of the style.

Because TKD is a martial arts right? lol and i dont think that MA should be in the same field as sports.