• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frustrated

I'm a little frustrated with my MA school and want to know if I'm overreacting or not. Any advice or words of wisdom from this forum is always helpful and appreciated. Here it is:

I go to my MA school a lot. If I'm not out of town traveling for work, I'm at the school that evening for a workout. Usually, I'm there 4-5 times a week and give 110% effort. When I first get there, I pull my card and the instructor gives me credit for being there that day. Typically, when the card is full (40-50 workouts), you typically test for your next belt (underbelt) the following month. Well, this month my card is full and I confidently know all the requirements for the next belt. In addition, I arrive 15-30 minutes before class to practice, and I practice at work. In two weeks, the next test is taking place and I'm not on the list. I asked my instructor if I was going to be on the list, and the answer was, "maybe in a month or two". I'm confused and frustrated. There are some people in our school who come once, maybe 2x a week, and in six months test for the next belt. They don't remember all the forms and their technique is sloppy...But that person tests. I focus and try to build that muscle memory with practice and frequent trips to the school. But, no test for me. Is it because I haven't paid enough monthly dues?? I feel like I'm being penalized for dedicating and pushing myself to improve. I have no problem asking the instructor about this, but thought I would check with you folks beforehand. Am I overeacting? :kaioken:

As always, thanks for the help.

Dano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well if you are all paid up in dues, this is odd. but keep in mind, rank isnt everything and time doesnt =rank. now besides that, i would calmly and cooly ask your instructor, "sir during those 1-2 months i would like to know what i should be working on, what im not ready with yet' and feel him out and see what he says. it does sound odd if others are truly slacking and you are working hard but, if your dues arent paid that might be why, also you might want to be considering where you are training if you do not get a reasonable response. good luck let us know how it goes.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I would take your questions to your instructor. You have a right to ask what the deal is. Ask politely, but be sure he gives you a straight answer. He may be testing you...who knows?

You name not being on the list of those to promote may be as simple as he forgot to add your name when making the list. Also he may be leaving you name to test you reaction on not being on the list. He may be planning on testing you anyway kinda like a pop quiz.

If I may ask how long have you been training and what is your rank? This may have something to do with not being promoted. Because in the dojo I train in from green to brown is somewhere between 6 to 8 months and from brown to black is a minimum of 1 year.

i would say you are over reacting a little, actually. remember you're not just training for a belt. i would take the fact that he's not just passing you on as a compliment; that he's making sure you really get the techniques down, and absorb them. it's great that you're putting in so much time and effort. keep it up and you'll see the real rewards behind it.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai