• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmmn?? are martial arts sports???

You learn a defunct weapon for the same reason you might take up any hobby, because its interesting. There is also the slight possibility it may come in useful someday.

As for pulling your punches, it takes just as much energy to shorten a punch as to allow it to continue on its course, all you need to do is know the difference.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most certainly there is! But I think the distinction is whether the MA style is "traditional" or for "sport".

I believe the main differences are: (traditional ma vs. sport ma)

The "art" seeks self-development and spiritual improvement, while "sport" seeks superiority over an opponent—winning.

Thr "art" reflects Eastern values while "sport" reflects Western values.

The "art" is process-oriented, sport is result-oriented.

The "art" is formalized, "sport" is not.

It was only somewhat recently that the martial arts evolved from a training tool for warriors for combat, into a method of spiritual and physical education (traditional ma), and then into the sport of sparring. This began with the transformation of Japanese Kendo from a method of large scale battlefield combat into a a safe personal combat between two people. Judo underwent a similar transformation where it evolved from combat techniques into a sport. To accomplish this transformation, both had to develop a way for two people to safely test their skills against each other. This was accomplished by making modifications to the fighting techniques and training methods and introducing sparring techniques. Japanese Karate also evolved from a lethal combat art into a sport for use by the general public by using these methods. This stress on the the sporting aspects of Karate influenced the developers of Tae kwon do, which was based upon Japanese Shotokan.

There are styles of ma that have IMO a blend of the two, these styles vary in degree of traditional ma and sport according to the amount of influence each master had absorbed.

• 7 months later...

http://www.itkf.org/about_tk.asp

about pulling your punches back, one use is in case you can't win the opponent in that just one blow, would you want your arms sticking there for the opponent to grab hold of it?

and practicing drawing your punches/kicks back is also meant to promote control. you should be able to control your movement/attacks so the damage you do to the opponent would be in control. so if in a real fight you can't control your punches to hit your opponent in full contact, you have failed the training. if you cannot pull your kicks back in time when he's trying to grab it, you have failed your training also.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"However in a competion there is. Another thing you have to question is how realistic is point sparing (from a karate view) If it is not much use then why bother training it??"

i think point sparring is realistic for the sport martial art rules, but not realistic for real fighting because in point sparring the main idea is to score the point and in a real fight (streets) its to injure your opponent.

the point of training in point sparring is whether the martial arts student would like to enter sport martial arts competitions. even though they do not want train and practice for compeitions, the point sparring is satisfying when your scoring the points as it is like a sport game. you think you dont get a chance like this if you dont learn and practice point martial arts, because normally if your just learning self defense then you know its serious and not fun/not happy/not good. also its recreation and something to do for good benefits.

its a really satisfying and good way of getting rid of adrenaline and a way for your self expression as you can do whatever move you like under the rules, plus all those fitness/health benefits it offers.

afterall the training student would ofcourse gain benefits like improved reflexes, fitness, health, quickness, flexibility e.t.c. also point sparring is great for sparring whenever, even not at the own club, but in your own time at home or elsewhere. you can record your own video clips of you point sparring or just normal sparring for fun/self pleasure or for your own purpose in mind. i think its great!

• 3 weeks later...
I always get this question from parents and non practitioners. Sparring works on speed, accuracy, and moving your body. My instructor stresses that it is not real life but more like a game of tag. I would never fight how I spar, but I can use things from my sparring to fight.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

• 2 months later...