• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmmn?? are martial arts sports???

I have nothing against competition in karate, it is healthy. However I have always thought of a sport as something with rules. I realise that there are many aspects to martial arts but on the street in a fight there are no rules. If someone wants to kill you they can and the law is not going to stop them, just punish them after your dead. So on the street there are no rules.

However in a competion there is. Another thing you have to question is how realistic is point sparing (from a karate view) If it is not much use then why bother training it??

Hope everyone understands that these are my points of view and I would be happy to hear anyone elses. :smile:

Yeah!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The meaning of martial arts has changed over time, it now includes a very different range of things from that it used to (used to include things like cooking, pitching a tent, riding, anything that could be used in the military). If all of those things are no longer martial arts then why not have competition arts which are part, at least they're similar.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

The meaning of martial arts has changed over time, it now includes a very different range of things from that it used to (used to include things like cooking, pitching a tent, riding, anything that could be used in the military). If all of those things are no longer martial arts then why not have competition arts which are part, at least they're similar.

I sort of see your point, however we today still pich tents, cook, shoot and bomb in the army. What I was trying to get across is that why bother training something which will not benifit you that much compared to todays world.

For example the army wont shell an enemy base with empty shells, they will use full ones which will do some damage. So why train in things like point sparing if they are not going to do the job properly when it needs to be done?

Yeah!

Why bother painting a picture?

Why bother composing music?

Why bother writing a book?

Why bother dancing?

Why bother learning to use a defunct weapon?

Why bother learning to ride a horse?

Why bother with a typewriter?

Even if we do still pitch tents and cook in the army these things are no longer considered martial arts. You can never tell what may or may not benefit you. Besides, can you prove that point sparring is completely useless? And then if it's not completely useless then surely it is benefiting you.

If you say it is useless however, there are probably some people who want to talk to you.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

There are rules in competition. Point fighting may not be very realistic but it does help develop speed and acuracy. If you've ever been to an open torn. you would notice that the main attraction is the forms and weapons competition. That is where atheletes usually shine

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Some martial arts are considered sports while others are not. For instance, pure "Tae Kwon Do" has been considered a sport by the Eastern arts since the '70s, around the time of its birth. It's sort of like the rich person driving their Porsche and looking at your '87 Ford Tempo with contempt. "That's a mere bicycle" sort of thing. It's 10:30 pm and I've had a long day at the dojo so this may not make much sense :spitlaugh:

Some martial arts are just that: arts. Some are merely for the self-defense aspects. Some, like Olympic TKD are actual sports. The fact that they have "olympic" in front of their name proves that I think :wink:

Oh, and if winning big at a big tourney should happen to get me a movie deal or something, I think that serves a purpose :lol:

:angel: If Only :angel:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

On 2002-06-08 22:32, monkeygirl wrote:

Some martial arts are considered sports while others are not. For instance, pure "Tae Kwon Do" has been considered a sport by the Eastern arts since the '70s, around the time of its birth.

WHAT???? Please let me clarify!

Traditional TKD reflects eastern values, while sport TKD reflects western values. Traditional TKD is based almost entirely on Japanese principles, concepts, and techniques. Its four core training methods, patterns, breaking, sparring and self-defense techniques, are Japanese in origin. Sport TKD did not develop the philosophies and concepts needed to supplant those that traditional TKD adopted from karate, so it is still perceived as a subset of the original TKD.

Although some these early masters, such as General Choi, vehemently opposed the changes to "Koreanize" TKD by putting more emphasis on contact sparring rather than the practice of forms/patterns. The changes were implemented in 1963 with TKD's inclusion in the Korean National Sports Festival.

In 1966, Choi formed the International Taekwondo Federation. This was the first of many international Taekwondo organizations.

Disagreements about what Tae kwon do should become, led to a split between traditional TKD (the martial art) and the new competitive TKD (sport).

Martial Arts are arts.

However differant forms of Martial Arts like TKD, Judo, Sumo, Fencing, Boxing, etc are sports.

Karate done in the dojo IMO is not a sport it is an art.

This is a tricky question what makes a sport. I use this guideline. If there is a orginized tournament or event. You must have a winner and looser and some sort of judge, ref, or governing body to keep control and make rules.

What makes a sport is a hard question

NASCAR?

Horse Racing?

Golf?

Chess?

Bull Fighting?

Ping Pong?

Cheerleading?

You be your own judge but you can make the argument both ways most of the time.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

On 2002-06-08 19:34, ckdstudent wrote:

Why bother learning to use a defunct weapon?

Besides, can you prove that point sparring is completely useless?

I agree with the your quote above, like I said before why bother training in something that doesn't work??? Also I never said that it was completely useless and you are right that it builds speed, however it is not realistic.... Pulling you punches, kicks or whatever wont help much when someone wants to hurt you.

Everyone has different views :argue:dont they

Yeah!