• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fear Of Kiai

SkidRow

I think most everyone has had this problem at some point in the early days of training. I don't remember what or how I came to be able to give a good kiai during training and promotions. Give it time it will come to you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I used to do my fair share of 'kiaing' back in the days when I was young and handsome. I can't really bring myself to do it anymore...

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Congratulations on getting to test. At this early point in your training, I wouldn't worry if you cannot kiai. Talk to your instructor and tell him you still feel a little shy about kiaing. Most instructors will not withhold a grade because you didn't yell. When I started, i too was nervous to yell out. My instructor told me that it will come naturally in time. He just wanted me to be able to demonstrate the moves I had been shown accurately and give the test 100% He was right, by the time I tested again, the kiai felt more natural. Good luck on your test. keep us posted.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally love to Kia!! I don't really know why i just feel powerful when i give my battle cry.

I was always told to shout 'e-i-e' (pronounced with hard vowels for each letter) and it should come from the gut.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

I know some people have problem with it my son does and I can not get him to do it either. I told also it is way to breath and it is a spirit shout. If you do not have spirit your kata has no spirit. Just a way to try to get him to do it, maybe it will work for you too.

Back when I started I was a bit shy with my Kiai. I remember practicing it in my car all by myself. I felt a little foolish, and I imagine anyone driving past would've thought it was strange. But that helped, I got over my own fear of shouting while I was by myself.

Now I use it a lot in class, I find a psychological response in those I work with. They get frightened when they hear/feel the power I can put into it. That coupled with the fact that I'm currently the biggest guy in the school (6'4 200 lbs). That and I also tend to get a bloodthirsty look in my eyes. I have to hold back from time to time, I tend to get over zealous when I put a lot of energy into my shouts.

One lady that was watching her son while I was helping with a test told me she was going to have nightmares because of how scary I was.

That was a good point about the throat vs the diaphragm. There are a few of the younger students that use all throat and you can hear the damage it's doing to them. Not to mention there just isn't the grunt that' comes from the body.

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

I was reserved at first. I use to Kiai from my throat....boy my sensei picked up on that. Now I Kiai from the stomach and there is a difference. There is great purpose for the Kiai. Use it for your advantage. Kiai use to help me release worry and stress duing testing!!! So until then E-I-E!!!!!!!!!!!