• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gotham Classic International Competition

This Saturday, I will be participating in this competition in New York City. Before I go, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on continuous sparring. Example; rules, what to expect from the opponent, grading system, etc.

Has anyone participated in this competition before? If so, what was it like?

Is anyone else reading going to be participating on Saturday? :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You mentioned continuous sparring. How long? What are the rules? Some of that info will help. Personally, I suck at continuous sparring, because I am not in that great of shape.

I was asking whoever knew about the rules. I'll probably get briefed when I get there but I was hoping to know in advance. It's no big deal. Just a curious question. Anyway, all I know is that the rounds will be between thirty and sixty seconds long.

30 second rounds, I would say train high intensity to blast it out. 60 seconds, I would hang back a bit, and train for short bursts of activity, with a bit more strategy.

30 secs is a lot shorter than I'm used to but I can give you a coupla points since continuous is what I'm better at:

- Most likely you will get penalized for stepping out the ring so if you are on the attack drive forward. The way I'm used to is 3 warnings then a minus point but it might be different so keep forcing them to back up. They either have to step out or are forced to move off centre in which case roundhouse them. Roundhouses are also effective to get them back in a straight line. If they deviate either side just roundhouse to force them back onto that central line.

- Same sort of minus point rule goes for loss of balance. There are severals to get this to happen. Push side kicks work (as long as they don't look like your trying to push :D), push back kicks etc. They either push them out of the ring or they lose their balance. Another way is to catch the leg without actually "catching" it. Say for instance they do a high roundhouse. Now I'm a lot taller than most I compete against so you let them hit you but catch the kick one your shoulder. Usually points only score if they are clean and executed properly (this means no loss of balance and the leg is retrieved). Also you can follow it through with punches. If they don't go down.

- Might not be totally fair play but what works is playing mind games with your opponent. If you hear someone on another ring fall or someone cheers or shouts something you can flicker your eyes to where they are and your opponent might look also letting you attack while they are distracted. However this does not work on people who are very focused so its up to you to decide whether its safe. Another eye thing to do is flicker your eyes to look at their torso (presuming you are looking at their head to start with) and then attack to the head. Most people will take it as though you are about to attack their mid section and so will be prepared to guard there.

- Probably wont be able to do this in 30 secs but pick one technique that your opponent uses and react the same way 3 or 4 times they do it. Like if they roundhouse with their right leg, step around and counter with a punch. Then once they've "wised up" to this counter, change it so that it looks as though you are doing the same thing but secretly you are doing a reverse hook kick or something.

- If you get penalized for excessive contact you can play it up when they hit you. So if they punch you to the head just let you head go back as if it was a hard punch. Some people might not agree with this one though and you have to be really good with the timing. Also if they do catch you a little bit too hard, take a moment to regain your breath.

- If you want to buy a couple of seconds rest, signal time out to the ref and re-ajust your equipment, belt etc. Spend as long as you can doing it(within reason) to let you get your breath back. I would advise against doing this a maximum of more than twice (never twice in the same round/match).

Of course you wont be able to pull any of these off if you can't do the techniques well already. Good luck.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

For backing them up, the front leg side kick works well. If they come off with their back leg, try to nail them with a front leg side kick or front kick. You can push them back, or knock them down.

Jumping attacks have one problem: you are committed when you throw them. If someone side steps them or defends them well, you are left hanging, and then you can be royally screwed.

Jumping attacks have one problem: you are committed when you throw them. If someone side steps them or defends them well, you are left hanging, and then you can be royally screwed.

Or he could knock out his opponent, assuming that's allowed.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."