• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you see thats where i think our problem lies. our titles are more unnofficial you get promoted to a title by the chief master instructor when you are needed. if you are not already a master, you can be a certified instructor, other than that you are just a BB. so when the time comes he will go, you are qualified you have observed teaching time and assistant teaching time in, would you become one of our official instructors, and you can either say yes or no. so we dont test into it and we don't have special patches or any recognition, we just recieve the title Kyo Sa Nim, and you are suppose to be set apart from other black belts by it. i don't think its taken as serioulsy as you guys' titles are. maybe that could be it...idk. we'll see this week what happens.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any blackbelt who does an Instructor training course and passes the exam can be called Instructor. Any 4th dan and above who is an Instructor and then does a (usually) 3 day International Instructors' Course seminar gets the title International Instructor meaning that they can teach anywhere they like as opposed just in their country under their master. 7th degrees are automatically masters and 9th degrees earn the title Grandmaster.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

At kyu and Dan rank, it goes by who received their rank first. For example, if you have on any given testing day, 4 people who were going for blue belt, the individual who had his blue belt put on him first, was the first to stand in line of blue belt ranks. This also goes for black belt testings. Whoever was promoted first to their Dan level, stands in line closer to the head instructor (to his left.) Hope my explaination makes sense. Also recognized mostly at Black Belt level, the Head Instructor bows, kneels, sits and stands first. We follow a split second behind. All a ranks, as a sign of respect, higher ranks go through doors first.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

In Japanese Budo the following titles apply.

Senpai "Senior" is awarded at between 3rd Kyu and 2nd Dan.

Sensei "one who is born before" or "teacher", is awarded at 3rd Dan (or at 1st Dan if it is deemed that the candidate has sufficient teaching skills/understanding).

Tashi "proficient". This is the first of the formal "privilege" titles and is awarded to 3rd Dans and above.

Renshi "Polishing Master" Awarded to 5th Dan and above. Implies someone has a high level of understanding but are still in pursuit of perfection.

Kyoshi "Proficient teacher" Awarded to 6th Dan and above. Also could translate "Assistant Master Teacher".

Hanshi/ Shihan "Model Teacher" Usually refers to someone who heads their own school or association.

Meijin "Spiritual perfection" Awarded to 10th Dan and/or founders of a style. IE Shotokan, Wado-Ryu etc. Traditionally these were awarded by the Emperor of Japan. And was the equivalent of receiving a Knighthood.

From Tashi onwards these are titles that recognise the practitioner’s depth of understanding rather than a reflection of rank, although the two sort of go hand in hand.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

At kyu and Dan rank, it goes by who received their rank first. For example, if you have on any given testing day, 4 people who were going for blue belt, the individual who had his blue belt put on him first, was the first to stand in line of blue belt ranks. This also goes for black belt testings. Whoever was promoted first to their Dan level, stands in line closer to the head instructor (to his left.) Hope my explaination makes sense. Also recognized mostly at Black Belt level, the Head Instructor bows, kneels, sits and stands first. We follow a split second behind. All a ranks, as a sign of respect, higher ranks go through doors first.

that's very interesting but, is the person who is given their belt first given it for a reason(like the instructor intentionally chooses so) or is it just randomly given, whoevers first is higher?

that's very interesting but, is the person who is given their belt first given it for a reason(like the instructor intentionally chooses so) or is it just randomly given, whoevers first is higher?

In this situation, I would not use that as a chance to pull rank. If you two people receive the same rank on the same day, at the same promotion ceremony, then they are the same rank. If you need something to distinguish between the two, then you go by age. If it is that big of a deal, then those two really need to get a life.

In this situation, I would not use that as a chance to pull rank. If you two people receive the same rank on the same day, at the same promotion ceremony, then they are the same rank. If you need something to distinguish between the two, then you go by age. If it is that big of a deal, then those two really need to get a life.

well that's what im wondering, because if they are given on the same day at the same ceremony,then i would call them the same rank, because judging on 'who gets it first' kinda sounds like a childrens game to me.

"Who gets it first" is based more off of a time in rank thing; like someone who has been a blue belt for 2 more months than the most recent student promoted to blue belt.

This is really nit-picking at this point. As an instructor, who I give a belt to first is completely arbitrary. Say I have new 5 yellow belts to give after testing. All 5 are present, but I give no thought whatsoever to who I tie a belt onto first. One time it may be Susie & the time, John.

If each received the same rank from the same test, the older student is the higher rank. If two people were born at the exact same time on the same day....I s'pose they alternate.

There are legitimate issues around rank, but this is to an extreme it need not go.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

This is really nit-picking at this point. As an instructor, who I give a belt to first is completely arbitrary. Say I have new 5 yellow belts to give after testing. All 5 are present, but I give no thought whatsoever to who I tie a belt onto first. One time it may be Susie & the time, John.

If each received the same rank from the same test, the older student is the higher rank. If two people were born at the exact same time on the same day....I s'pose they alternate.

There are legitimate issues around rank, but this is to an extreme it need not go.

I agree 100%. At this point, I would tell students to not wear their belt to class. They obviously view it from the wrong perspective.