• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, I've trained twins before, kids. I made them alternate, as they were 4 minutes apart. And I didn't think it was right to tell a 7 year old they would always have to be behind their twin sister because of 4 minutes.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've trained twins before, kids. I made them alternate, as they were 4 minutes apart. And I didn't think it was right to tell a 7 year old they would always have to be behind their twin sister because of 4 minutes.

Well, I could see it being a problem for 7 year olds, but at some point, people grow up.....Hopefully :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

This is really nit-picking at this point. As an instructor, who I give a belt to first is completely arbitrary. Say I have new 5 yellow belts to give after testing. All 5 are present, but I give no thought whatsoever to who I tie a belt onto first. One time it may be Susie & the time, John.

If each received the same rank from the same test, the older student is the higher rank. If two people were born at the exact same time on the same day....I s'pose they alternate.

There are legitimate issues around rank, but this is to an extreme it need not go.

I agree 100%. At this point, I would tell students to not wear their belt to class. They obviously view it from the wrong perspective.

well guys this is the problem we have. it's like a plague, that has striken our studio. you won't believe that i have almost witnessed fist fights in front of my eyes over who gets the higher place.(its usually red belts and first dans, sometimes seconds) it needs to end but but not in a way that i am kicking and screaming, even though i want to at this point. you know what im thinking of doing though, is finding a white belt that fits me and put it on, and walking in to teach my class, and ask them if anybody has a problem with me teaching with a white belt on, and if they do, i'll ask them why they think it matters, and i just might keep teaching like that for a while. :lol:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

[well guys this is the problem we have. it's like a plague, that has striken our studio. you won't believe that i have almost witnessed fist fights in front of my eyes over who gets the higher place.(its usually red belts and first dans, sometimes seconds)...

Wow! That is kinda sad. I could see two same-ranked belts maybe trying to figure out who goes first or whatever... but never arguing over it. Are these "adults" (meaning people over at least 15 or so) or little kids?

When I was a white belt there was another white belt girl there that started before I started... at that point neither of us knew much so it often ended up being whoever ended up there first kinda thing but still usually it was her first. We both tested for our yellow belt at the same time and by that time I realised that the person who had been there longer went first so she was always first. But for a little while befor the test for orange belt she had missed *a lot* of classes but not really knowing how it worked I still had her go before me but after a few classes she started insisting that I went before her just cus she knew that she wasnt going to be testing at the upcoming test date... I looked a lil puzzled at first, but went where she said just to get on with class. Didnt really matter to me where I went, dont think it really mattered to her either.

Kinda weird that such high ranking people in your school could get quite so nitpicky. I could halfway understand a "discussion" between say a 1st dan and a 2nd dan because those ranks are not obvious by ones belt... but not an actual argument.

[well guys this is the problem we have. it's like a plague, that has striken our studio. you won't believe that i have almost witnessed fist fights in front of my eyes over who gets the higher place.(its usually red belts and first dans, sometimes seconds)...

Wow! That is kinda sad. I could see two same-ranked belts maybe trying to figure out who goes first or whatever... but never arguing over it. Are these "adults" (meaning people over at least 15 or so) or little kids?

When I was a white belt there was another white belt girl there that started before I started... at that point neither of us knew much so it often ended up being whoever ended up there first kinda thing but still usually it was her first. We both tested for our yellow belt at the same time and by that time I realised that the person who had been there longer went first so she was always first. But for a little while befor the test for orange belt she had missed *a lot* of classes but not really knowing how it worked I still had her go before me but after a few classes she started insisting that I went before her just cus she knew that she wasnt going to be testing at the upcoming test date... I looked a lil puzzled at first, but went where she said just to get on with class. Didnt really matter to me where I went, dont think it really mattered to her either.

Kinda weird that such high ranking people in your school could get quite so nitpicky. I could halfway understand a "discussion" between say a 1st dan and a 2nd dan because those ranks are not obvious by ones belt... but not an actual argument.

yea it is sad, and to see some of my own students who i brought up makes me deeply distressed. but i'd have to say its 70 percent kids between 8 and 15 and then the other 30 percent is everyone above. its just more startling with black belts because maturity and humility are suppose to be virtues by which you live by, but obviously virtues don't come with the belt :lol:

well guys this is the problem we have. it's like a plague, that has striken our studio. you won't believe that i have almost witnessed

We don't know each other, but I hope you take this well. I mean this as one instructor to another. You are the instructor (your student's MA father, if you will) it's your responsibility to set the tone for what happens in that room. If this is a plague, it's your job to bring the cure to your school.

You can take care of this.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

well guys this is the problem we have. it's like a plague, that has striken our studio. you won't believe that i have almost witnessed

We don't know each other, but I hope you take this well. I mean this as one instructor to another. You are the instructor (your student's MA father, if you will) it's your responsibility to set the tone for what happens in that room. If this is a plague, it's your job to bring the cure to your school.

You can take care of this.

i understand. this is exactly why i started this conversation with all of you, i'd like to see what you guys would do, how your systems go, just in case ours was different or seemed more extreme,etc. i have gotten more than decent feedback from you guys and i have made my decision: im going to wear a white belt, and go from there. i think they'll get the point. they see rank as power so when i show them that hey, im wearing a white belt, but im still teaching you the same, that rank doesnt matter...not doesnt matter but it doesnt matter as much as they think it does. i think im going to explain napoleon's complex to them(small person sydrome) and see if they think that could potentially be them. i got it handled, i just like feedback, im a fairly cautious person, and with a forum like this at my fingertips, i can get feedback from all ranks, shapes, sizes, styles, on any topic. thank you for your concern and confidence in me, i appreciate it :wink:

well guys this is the problem we have. it's like a plague, that has striken our studio. you won't believe that i have almost witnessed fist fights in front of my eyes over who gets the higher place.(its usually red belts and first dans, sometimes seconds) it needs to end but but not in a way that i am kicking and screaming, even though i want to at this point.

Perhaps they need to set out a few classes. Better yet, after everyone lines up, put the low ranks in the front, and the high ranks in the back. I have done this a few times. It will get results.

If it were me I'd solve it with push-ups.

At one point we had a 12 year old red belt boy who was being disrespectful to a 9 year old orange belt girl. Sensei made them trade belts for 2 weeks. No more problems after that.

Good luck with your plague :D

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I missed whether these were kids or adults. I'm guessing they are children. The kind of subtlty your are suggesting by wearing a white belt may be lost on some kids. Telling them that you won't tolerate the kind of squabbling about who gets to line up where (while wearing your BB) will get the point across quicker. Belts are earned. Therefore status in the mat is earned. A part of being yellow belt (or green or black belt) is respect for others & humility. If a student has trouble understanding that, them wearing a white belt & being at the back of the room (behind new students) may get their attention very quick.

I have a 15 year old 7th gup (one of my best students!) who forgot her belt last night. She told me she did have her 8th gup belt with her, tho. I told her to put that on & stand with the 8th gups in line. She did so with a smile knowing that she got the message & won't forget her belt again.

Your wearing a white belt sends a message that YOU understand. A green belt having to wear a white belt because they want to squabble over being important sends a message that HE will understand. I also like the switching belts idea above.

my .02 cents.