• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

By using the last three ,it lines up the forearm structure into it's most powerful position. I personally concentrate on my ringer finger knuckle while punching, this wway if i am off a little i'm still hitting within the correct range.

As for PT, i also lift weights,abs,cardio along with hvy bag work,wooden dummy drills,footwork drills and classes

Close the gap and destroy!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we still concentrate on keeping the last three fingers very tight, but i hit with the first two.

I spend a lot of time working out in my off days but between JKD, BJJ and now Judo, i get a lot of exercise in just with my training. On my off days, i do a lot of weight training. Those three arts are the only ones I am studying right now because there just aren't enough days in the week :(

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I'm just starting Jeet Kune Do. I've been out of the martial arts loop for a little while, but was studying Isshinryu beforehand.

Please explain something to me; what is the benifit of the last three knuckles over the first two? As an Isshinryu student I understand the advantages of the verticle fist but I still don't get the last three knuckles, what am I not seeing?

Also, Master Lee believed far to many martial artist spend all their time perfecting technique and no time training their bodies which creates what should be an oxymoron; an out of shape martial artist. I happen to agree, and a large percentage of my training is devoted to weight lifting, cardio, and flexibility training, as well as developing the abdomen for impact. How many of you in JKD currently use a rigorus PT schedule as part of the main ingestion of your training?

You bring up a good point about Bruce lee. Yes the fact that you should have a good body is very essential in MA. It is called the temple , you need to keep your temple as sharp as you can to have a real impact.

You speak of training the body as a major part of matial arts. But you have not realsied that there are 2 other aspects the mind and the sprit , they all need to be trained to become a truely great martial artist.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

This is certainly true. The reason I didn't mention it is because I come from styles that worked very hard at the mind and spirit but almost not at all for the body, other than the work out you get from honing technical skill, which is not enough.

In short I failed to mention spiritual and mental training because thats nothing new to me, unfortunately physical training in this aspect is.

Ying and Yang im going to make a statement here as far as I am concerned the mind and the spirit are the same thing

Ahhh, i hear that alot from alot of poeple , but u are wrong im afriad. The mind is what contols you when your awake, and what remebers every step and plays a large part in learning martial arts. It is like the machine.

But sprit is like personality , it is what makes you what you are and how you react to what is happing around you. For eg. you have two types of people 1 who is shy and doesn't want to fight, and the other who is crzy and wants to get it on lol , that is there personality abs sprit.

Good question. jay

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Ok. Psychology and philosophy major here. Let me "attempt" (albeit likely in vain) to cut this one short. Arguing the point of the mind and spirit being the same thing or seperate entities is pointless. You'll never get anywhere.

First, don't confuse the brain with the mind. They are NOT the same thing or concept.

If the spirit and the mind are the same thing or not is an argument in linguisticts, not biology or even para-biology. It really depends on how YOU use the word "mind". It's a philisophical idea, a metephor more than anything else, and so technically is a variable open to being assigned several deffinitions depending on context and preference. Ultimately, it really doesn't make much difference in the context we are talking about.

And to add, niether of those deffinitions sound like a solid grounding to define mind or spirit, sense there are neurotransmitters and cranial regions already doing those jobs. (although they don't "remember every step". If you can do that, may I do a case study on you?)

I do not try to argue with you , because obvisly you know what ur talking about , But martial arts has been around for thousands of years , and i will follow that before i follow science which has only been around for 100 years.

I think that science has been around for longer than 100 years. Scientific study has gone on for much longer than this. You just have to take in context with the technology that was available at the time that various discoveries were made.

Martial Arts movements are based on scientific movement for the most part. Even the older styles.