• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

D'oh!

kkennedy219

For the first one, one last tip on not having your hands collide when going from high to low blocks. As you start to transition your hands, the best way I've found to learn the proper spacing is this. The hand that just made the outward block should touch, or almost touch the inside bend of the elbow of the low blocking hand. Then, almost like that was the on switch, the low blocking hand comes up, forming your outward block as the other hand pivots downward for the low block.

On the ending with the low elbow, over the shoulder punch. To get the proper rotation I thought of the lower elbowing hand as checking down a punch/trapping to pull the attacker inward. The other hand, the over the shoulder punch, I thought of as a forward elbow on that attcker. Being a Matsubyashi Ryu man though, I had that Neko Ashi Dachi(e?) to check to the groin in the same sequence.

Once I got the basic movement down, having some mental picture of what it was doing always helped me in getting all of the boby movement correct. That and doing it over, and over and over and..you get the picture. I always started out with the first time through a kata slowly, working to set each stance and get all of the mechanics down before I even worried about power or speed.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
As far as the moves being used as elbow strikes, katas are subject to interpretation by design - if an elbow strike is a possible application, then an elbow strike is appropriate. When performing any kata, visualize "your" interpretation of that kata, then perform it with that interpretation. But, don't overlook that fact that your interpretation could be incorrect...

- Killer -

I agree with Killer here. In my current TKD form, Yoo Sin, we do that movement, and I try to focus it as both elbow strikes to the front, and a punching motion over the shoulder. I don't notice any weakness in stance, and by focusing it as a punch and an elbow strike, I feel as though I put more power into the technique.

You people rock! I still need some practice, but everyone's suggestions have been super helpful! Many thanks!

Just thought of another question regarding Heian Sandan...the very end where we're in horse stance doing the 2 elbow strikes...are these truly elbow strikes, or could another interpretation be an over-the-shoulder punch? I find that when I think of them as elbow strikes, I tend to rotate my torso to far in either direction, which weakens my stance. It seems more logical to me to think of it as smacking someone behind me in the face with my fist.

Cheers!

I've seen the interpretation that you're punching over your shoulder. One of my instructors was a Shorin Ryu guy. That's what he did in his interpretation.

Also, rather than thinking of elbows crossing in front of you. You can think of the elbow strikes moving to the rear. In this case the hand is coming across to block your face as you strike backward.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

on hein sandan of the begining of the kata having the mental impression on what it does will help you get the movements down and I think you diffently got it here. Practice practice practice. It will come.