• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

D'oh!

kkennedy219

Hi, friends,

So you know in the beginning of Heian Sandan there's those 2 parts where you do a gedan barai with one arm and an outside block with the other, and then immediately switch them? I am having trouble not smacking my arms together when doing these moves...timing is the problem, I'm sure. Does anyone have any tips that might help me do them without clobbering myself?

Many thanks!

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First, make sure you have the correct angle with the arms. That is...they should not be tight to your body. Then, as you switch them, make sure that one moves inside the other. I was taught to bring the low movement through the higher movement. Here are some vids of the kata. If you look closely you'll see what I mean about the rotation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGtTKcgwgU&feature=related

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

This is a slower version. It may help you see the movements better. She bounces a little though, that's not usually part of the form.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

ps1 is dead on with moving the the low block through the high block. When running this kata I occasionally slap my fists on each other. As he said you angle may be off. Slow down and make sure you angles are right. Have a fellow student who knows the kata well or your Sensei watch the begining of you kata to see if thay can make some slight adjustments to the placement of you hands.

I have notice this happens alot if one is trying to rush this kata.

Try working this move ment in front of a mirror.This is a great help on any and all you kata because it keeps you eye level up and you can still see most all of you movements.

Blocking is one interpretation.They could also be a backfist strike to the groin(low)and a backfist to the face or collar bone(high).By bringing them to you and striking back out should eliminate the fists hitting together.

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

You people rock! I still need some practice, but everyone's suggestions have been super helpful! Many thanks!

Just thought of another question regarding Heian Sandan...the very end where we're in horse stance doing the 2 elbow strikes...are these truly elbow strikes, or could another interpretation be an over-the-shoulder punch? I find that when I think of them as elbow strikes, I tend to rotate my torso to far in either direction, which weakens my stance. It seems more logical to me to think of it as smacking someone behind me in the face with my fist.

Cheers!

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

I learned it as an over the shoulder punch, in both styles that I did it. As a result we also look over the punching shoulder. I've never heard of it as elbow strikes but I guess they could be that as well.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

In Motobuha Shito Ryu it was horse stance(seunchin dache)elbow strike while breaking a bear hug from behind with a foot sweep between each direction.In Shorin Ryu it was cat stance(neko ashi dache)punching over the shoulder while breaking the bear hug from behind.

The 3rd youtube video is the most traditionally correct - although the technique was a bit sloppy. Luca's example was excellent, but not traditionally correct and a little bit of a tournament flare to it - meaning to over exaggerate some moves, and ignore or less emphasize other moves. But a great example just the same...

Remember that the blocking arm always goes to the outside and the draw arm always goes to the inside.

As far as the moves being used as elbow strikes, katas are subject to interpretation by design - if an elbow strike is a possible application, then an elbow strike is appropriate. When performing any kata, visualize "your" interpretation of that kata, then perform it with that interpretation. But, don't overlook that fact that your interpretation could be incorrect...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

This is not the best representation of Pinan Sandan but it does show the ending as Neko Ashi Dache and punching over the shoulder as they do it in Nagamines shorin Ryu

Tom Hodges