• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring VS Street Tactics

I've noticed a great deal of sparring techniques DO NOT work on the street. Most of the time you won't have the time to open up with a feint, or else risk being punched in the face. So what are some strategies that won't work on the street as compared to a sparring match in the dojo?

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big flashy kicks- unless it breaks my arm or tosses me across the room, I'm probably going to catch it.

The guard in grappling... really anything in grappling if your opponent has even one friend there with him.

Anything with the word "spinning" in it just means "he'll hit you in the back of the head instead of the front".

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

On the street, you usually don't have the time to strategize like you do in the ring. Therefore, you don't have the setup time for the combinations that you might use in ring fighting. Usually lower kicks work more efficiently on the street than higher kicks, but it depends on your own skill level, too.

In sparring I tend to use the first 30 secs to feel my opponent out, like what attacks they like to use, how they defend. Obviously in a street fight that won't be too practical.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've noticed a great deal of sparring techniques DO NOT work on the street.

I am not being disrespectful, but could you be more specific? What sparring techniques have you tried that did not work on the street?

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

The guard in grappling... really anything in grappling if your opponent has even one friend there with him.

I disagree there. Have you ever trained the "ground and pound?" Guard is much better for defending against strikes from above than being mounted. The guard makes it much easier to sweep and regain the top position if the man on top over commits himself to strikes. Also is better to trap the man on top of you and makes it harder for "his friend" to hit you without risking hitting him.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I've noticed a great deal of sparring techniques DO NOT work on the street.

I am not being disrespectful, but could you be more specific? What sparring techniques have you tried that did not work on the street?

Mainly for me (this may be different for other persons) is any kick above the head, as it takes to much time to bring the foot back down to the ground, but then again I ain't all that flexible either, but I can kick to my head level. Now let me tell ya I stand about 6'3-6'4 so my reach is phenomenal. But that's just me.

My friend who has trained in both Karate and Tai Kwan Do uses all of these super flashy spinning attacks, I can take down easy if I get a choke hold on him, or I just sweep him and use his momentum making him fall onto the ground rather harshly. Most of these types of attacks are a form of telegraphing. Sure they may be powerful, but easy to doge or counter. Unless you are super speedy and well trained I wouldn't advise beginners to use these techniques. However I will say this: Everyone is different and thus some attacks will work for a variation of people.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

Aces, I agree, the head kicks are pretty dangerous on both ends. Some, a very few, can make them work. But, I was wondering about the great deal of sparring techniques that you felt do not work based on your street experience?

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!