• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is the cost worth it?

lordtariel

I'm going to start taking up iaido this year and am really excited about it. I'm trying to decide on a sword. For those of you that practice regularly, do you think it's better to go with a steel iaito or an alloy/aluminum blade? I know there's a major difference in weight, but I'm wondering if a heavier sword is going to help or hinder my initial training.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ask the instructor first to see what the school requires. Other then that I really can't say too much on it. I started with a bokken and then I bought a steel Iaito.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• 3 weeks later...

you know, back when i trained in staff forms, i'd use thicker ones in class so i knew i could handle and manuever with the weight and then i used lighter ones to compete. so i'd say its all preference and what the instructor wants.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I'm going to start taking up iaido this year and am really excited about it. I'm trying to decide on a sword. For those of you that practice regularly, do you think it's better to go with a steel iaito or an alloy/aluminum blade? I know there's a major difference in weight, but I'm wondering if a heavier sword is going to help or hinder my initial training.

I think I would go for steel Iaito, as the alloy ones are often chrome plated and can flake if damaged.

Make sure that you get one appropriate to your size/height.

A good one is a lot of money so make sure you get what is most appropraite to your needs. Certianly don't buy one until you have consulted your sensei.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• 3 weeks later...

Use the steel one for training , this will give your body a workout while you train. Also the weight give the sword much more power.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Did a "Bato-jutsu" session this weekend with my new Stainless Steel Iaito. I am new to Iai-Jutsu so I was all fingers and thumbs, but still it felt good.

Sound investment me thinks.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com