• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quickest to Blackbelt status?

honestly, i don't think it should matter it's what you learn that matters. i, personally, hate rank, im actually glad my black belt is fading to white, i hope that process moves quicker before i have to wear a masters belt. if i wouldnt get yelled at, i would honest to God wear a white belt, thats how little i care about rank, and how much i hate it. now seniority on the other hand, that actually becomes important, and is actually very cut-throat...its disgusting. But anyway!thats a different topic. but rank doesnt matter thats all you have to know!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That whole rank doesn't matter thing only goes so far. Rank matters a lot when its a door. I want to own my own school one day. I was a brown belt when I made that goal. I didn't test to black belt because it was my big goal, I tested as a step toward my larger goal. If I just said oh rank doesn't matter so I'll just stay at my current one, it wouldn't exactly fly. I'd hardly be able to run a school and advance students to high ranks if I was only a brown belt myself. (Sure you could say, just don't have rank in your school, but tbh I don't think that would be very succesful as a traditional martial arts school, as oppossed to a just learn how to fight school). So I plan to keep advancing in rank, not for the rank itself, though it is good to see my accomplishments, but for my larger goal. Does that mean that I am better now than I would be if I stayed a brown belt but kept training as I have? Of course not. But testing for my 1st degree was a step toward my future.

It's easy to say rank doesn't matter when you don't have future plans and goals that require you to be a higher rank.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Well, I guess it depends on if the style you study uses rank or not. There are some styles that don't use rank, so in order to set goals, you have to use other forms of measurement to reach them.

That whole rank doesn't matter thing only goes so far. Rank matters a lot when its a door. I want to own my own school one day. I was a brown belt when I made that goal. I didn't test to black belt because it was my big goal, I tested as a step toward my larger goal. If I just said oh rank doesn't matter so I'll just stay at my current one, it wouldn't exactly fly. I'd hardly be able to run a school and advance students to high ranks if I was only a brown belt myself. (Sure you could say, just don't have rank in your school, but tbh I don't think that would be very succesful as a traditional martial arts school, as oppossed to a just learn how to fight school). So I plan to keep advancing in rank, not for the rank itself, though it is good to see my accomplishments, but for my larger goal. Does that mean that I am better now than I would be if I stayed a brown belt but kept training as I have? Of course not. But testing for my 1st degree was a step toward my future.

It's easy to say rank doesn't matter when you don't have future plans and goals that require you to be a higher rank.

I think we all have future goals or goals of some sort or there'd be nothing to work for. The whole point of the rank doesn't matter thing doesn't mean you want to progress, when I am asked if i want to be promoted, the answer will be yes not because i want another stripe but more rank often sets up bigger better avenues in ones martial arts career. But saying the rank doesn't matter comes from a humility stand point, we even have a whole philosophy that goes with our belt system(animal, meaning, season, element) and do i think that theyre pointless? no i actually think the philosophy of the belts is brilliant and theres so much more to it. so am i throwing out belts all together, no, i just hate what it does to people, and as soon as people reach black, humility and many of the things martial arts are based on is thrown out the window.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 1 month later...

It all depends on how the school is run , and also if they follow tradional rules. I would say that TKD is a pritty quick style to get your black belt in compared to shotokan or kun-fu

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

In my opinion it is better to be the best white belt than the worst black belt. Chito-ryu really depends. I know of one person to achieve shodan in 2 years (he studied in Japan), but my buddy is 2 kyu away and he has been at it for 5-6 years (but I think he took a break of something). Chito-ryu is all I really know about, boxing does not have belts.

Bill Kephart: Chito-ryu Karate, Boxing

Contributer-Arthur's hall of Viking Manliness http://www.arthurshall.com/index.shtml

Moderator-Arthur's Viking Forum http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/arthurshall/index.php