• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

style differences

I have recently attended some TKD classes with a friend as my school is closed for the Holidays. We were going through technique drills and I noticed a difference. I was wondering how many people did this? When breaking from a back stance to a front stance: what leg do you move. Step out with the front leg? Or step out with the back leg?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That would depend on the reason for moving. If I'm going to throw a reverse punch, I would certainly move the front leg and drive with the back leg in order to increase the mass into the punch.

If I needed to increase the distance and get an opponent to reach for me I would move the back leg. If I have a good gauge on the range an opponent has on their front kick I may step back in order to intercept it and perform a takedown.

This is a very brief and generalized explanation, but I hope it helps.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with ps1... which leg you move depends on what you're doing.... for example, you don't want to move your back leg when you're trying to punch, you'd move the front and move forward as you drive your punch, if you were moving the back leg, your punch may not reach the opponent, and most certainly wouldn't be as strong.

what goes around, comes around

Good points, ps1. It could be school differences, or it could be just a different drill.

What was the drill for? Floor drill, or in a form? It could be many different reasons. When we do our basics in class, we move our front leg in the manner that you described as well.