• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how do i tell my instructor..

THAT IM A NINJA jk

but how do i tell him i am going to start training a new art at a new school?im not asking permission(as in my previous thread) but simply informing him that i want to broden my horizon in MA how do i start a conversation that will lead up to telling him that i am going to train in a new art?

Wise men do not need to prove a point.

Men who need to prove a point aren't wise.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wait till after class, or go in on an off day, and you say to him:

"Mr. _____, I wanted to tell you that I am going to also be training at such-and-such a school on such-and-such days."

That is really it. If he asks why, then tell him why. If he says ok, then cool. If he doesn't like it, and doesn't want you to do it, then you have to make a decision to either stay with him, and follow his rules, or go your seperate ways.

It is really pretty simple. Don't make it tougher than it is. Just go for it.

Or how about

Mr ______, what are your thoughts on cross training. I find _____ really interesting and was thinking about trying it out on the side. Do you think it's compatible with your system....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 3 weeks later...

My concern is that you feel that you must take such a stand with your instructor. Why not ask his permission? In my opinion, it is disrespectful to "inform" an instructor of a decision like this. If you feel that you must approach your instructor in this manner, it seems that it may prove beneficial to move out of this school entirely.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

My concern is that you feel that you must take such a stand with your instructor. Why not ask his permission? In my opinion, it is disrespectful to "inform" an instructor of a decision like this. If you feel that you must approach your instructor in this manner, it seems that it may prove beneficial to move out of this school entirely.

i dont feel that i simply want to ask him for advice and if it is wise because i would be training in two styles every week and im not asking for permission

i want to ask him because i hav such respect for him he bonds with the class he is not too strict and not too linient he taught me so much and i always turn to him for advice

Wise men do not need to prove a point.

Men who need to prove a point aren't wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thing is, I'm a grown up, and I can do what I like (within reason).

I think perhaps you need to "sense check" your decision to train in another art with your instructor, to get the benefit of his or her knowledge, but at the end of the day, it’s your body, your time and your bucks.

That said, I am a believer in the pedagogy of structured long term mnemonic style training and adopting the wrong additional training style could be disruptive to this balance.

Not everyone is this way inclined but it suits my slightly “autistic” tendencies.

Choose an art to compliment what you do best and take advice.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com