• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fun forms drill

Recently in class we did a fun drill as a warm-up. We did forms in a straight line. It really makes you think. Everyone was getting a suggestion of what to do as part of our warm-up that night. So after we did the straight line form down the mat, I suggested we do the basic form (the I pattern with low blocks and punches) in a straight line backwards. Now that was fun. Has anyone else ever done this type of drill? It might be a fun thing to throw out at class one day.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds interesting. Definitely a different way to shake up the forms routine.

One that I have done in the past is doing the form in a telepone booth. You have to stay pretty much in a 3' x 3' area, and you coordinate all of the techniques and turns of the form into that tight space. You might try it as well.

I enjoy running kata completely backward. Beginning in the final position and running every movement in reverse until you arrive at the beginning.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You can try to do the mirror image of a form. I usually get to about the 4th or 5th move and screw it up.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have a drill the students call "forms by the corners" where 4 students make a square and the front right student calls the form. After each run-through the square makes a quarter turn-facing a new direction with a new caller. We also do this with the students facing inward diagonally across from each other. It can be quite challenging and provides many opportunities to observe and discuss the many aspects/concepts of martial arts whether forms related or not.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I enjoy running kata completely backward. Beginning in the final position and running every movement in reverse until you arrive at the beginning.

That is tough to do, but it makes you think really hard. I have only done in with a few basic forms, and it is still very hard. A good drill, though.

Another fun forms variation is to have one student start a form, and do a certain number of moves, and then have them stop, and the next student has to pick up where the previous left off, go a certain distance, and then another picks up where he left off. It is good for getting the handle of knowing where to start in the middle of a form, and not having to start at the beginning all of the time.

One that we've done is to have 4 students stand in a diamond (one front center, one to left and right about 2 paces back, and the last directly behind the front person, about 4 paces back). The 4 students face away from the center, and then execute the form silently, and in time, only using breathing to sync the timing. When finished, the students end up in the center, with the final kick or punch bringing them almost in contact.

Taegeuk sam jang is one form we use for this, since the last move is a punch, and when done properly, the 4 students end up with their fists together in the center. Its pretty cool to observe this type of forms demonstration, since the beginning has the 4 facing away from each other,and they end up facing toward each other, with fists together.

what goes around, comes around

One that we've done is to have 4 students stand in a diamond (one front center, one to left and right about 2 paces back, and the last directly behind the front person, about 4 paces back). The 4 students face away from the center, and then execute the form silently, and in time, only using breathing to sync the timing. When finished, the students end up in the center, with the final kick or punch bringing them almost in contact.

Taegeuk sam jang is one form we use for this, since the last move is a punch, and when done properly, the 4 students end up with their fists together in the center. Its pretty cool to observe this type of forms demonstration, since the beginning has the 4 facing away from each other,and they end up facing toward each other, with fists together.

This is kinda similar to something we do in class. Every now and again we have a session where will team up in groups of about 3 or 4 with one older or senior grade student as team captain. Then someone in the class picks a random form we all know and each group has to come up with some way of presenting it; where to stand, where to put "splits" in (like a domino effect etc.), how to to walk on. The team captain has to do all the commands and then all the other groups vote on whose was the best. That team then get to pick the next form. Really we try to get something like they have at the

. Not only is it fun to do, you have to work hard to all look identical and be technically correct, you have to know all the commands and you have to be able to be creative.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius