• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keiko-Osame

Zanshin

This Thursday is the final training session or "keiko-Osame" at our Dojo, prior to the Christmas break.

The Keiko-Osame is a reflection of the years training, bringing it to a close on a positive note.

In keeping with this tradition, as well as presenting the annual Karate-ka of the year awards, we will be having a bit of fun trying some stuff that is a bit more unusual and we don't cover very often.

This year one of our Dan grades who is also a 5th Dan in Goju-Ryu will be teaching the class the Goju Kata "Seipai" along with some Bunkai.

As "Seipai" is not practiced in Wado it should be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it.

Most important of all, we will continue the celebration in the pub across the road.

Have you guys got anything special planned?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like fun.

We had a black belt dinner this past saturday. All black belts were invited and could bring one guest. We ate on the floor japanese style for fun, then played some party games, watched a slide show of pictures from the year, and gave out two awards. One was most improved black belt of the year, and the other was the most dedicated of the year.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Nice One,

Did you have the meal in your dojo?

We have a Jnr and Snr Karate-ka of the year award, the trophies for which are wooden shields with engraved plates. The recipients get to keep them for a year. They basically are given to the students that have shown the most dedication throughout the year.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

That sounds like a nice setup there. We don't do much of anything like that at our school. Sometimes we have black belt dinners, but that is about it.

Yes, it was on the floor of the dojo, I guess they figured if your a black belt you wont be spilling food? :lol:

I invited my 12 year old sister as my guest, she started martial arts this summer and is a yellow belt. (she did it when she was 5 but she had to quit one of her outside activities when she entered 1st grade and she chose karate cuz her teacher was mean and her dance teacher was nice)

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Yes, it was on the floor of the dojo, I guess they figured if your a black belt you wont be spilling food? :lol:

I invited my 12 year old sister as my guest, she started martial arts this summer and is a yellow belt. (she did it when she was 5 but she had to quit one of her outside activities when she entered 1st grade and she chose karate cuz her teacher was mean and her dance teacher was nice)

Rateh, that sounds really cool, and well done you, for bringing your sister along thats a really nice touch.

Sounds like you train at a dojo with a good heart.

Kampai.

usually our schools last session for the year is the grading. and we have some demonstrations by black belts and then get pizza after.

this year however was quite a long grading so we skipped the demos'

which i was pleased about cos i didnt feel like doing a TKD breaking demo after grading to 2nd Kyu in shotokan.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I hope you didn't skip the Pizza though! lol.

Our last training session was a blast. We covered a very old version of Seipai Kata and did a lot of bunkai that goes with it.

To finish off with we also did a bit of "Hojo Jutsu" or prisoner tying. Different!

Then across the road to the pub for a few Tizers!

We start the year with our “Keiko Hajime” (first training session of the year) in the second week of Jan, where we will be hitting the ground running as we have a big comp at the end of Feb take part in.

Cant wait

We have a tradition of meeting every new years morning Jan. 1st at 6:00am at the dojo.We take turns calling out ten kihon on each side for each participant,the more people that show means a better workout.After kihon we take turns demonstrating kata,both empty hand and weapons.Its all followed up with a toast to the new year,Kampai !!!.This tradition is meant to symbolize our dedication and comittment to training and to strive to do better through the next year so that everyone there can see your progress from one year to the next.After all it would be kind of embarrassing to show no improvement. Happy New year to all,Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi