• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which of these would best suit me?

Shaolin kung fu usually is a take on contemporary wushu. It is more for looks than fighting, however it is very dynamic and would help you get both in better shape and be more flexible (if that is what you are looking for).

For a martial art for fighting, I usually wouldn't recommend Taijiquan. Not that it can't be trained well -

http://www.oxfordwudang.com/lotus_sweep.0.html

http://www.oxfordwudang.com/brush_knee.0.html

However despite that some do train with resistance and application, and that it was hardly an 'internal' style when it first was made, there are so many bad instructors who just teach it for exercise (which doesn't give you that much exercise anyways) and/or just the forms that to find a good taijiquan gym is extremely rare indeed. Mantis styles are a bit better in this regard, however you still have to be very careful. CMAs have gone over a century of hardship and oppression, and many poorly trained students led to many poorly trained teachers who know the forms and some very basic SD drills, but can't apply well what they have learned in an 'alive' setting. Check out all of the schools, and let us know how it goes.

I have jus had a quick look at the video clips. I honestly don,t think that this is Tai Chi Chuan. They bounce around too much and some of the techniques look more like Shotokan than Tai Chi. I 'll have a more careful look at these clips later.

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the other fighter I don't believe is- it is a sanshou tourney so you don't have to practice taichi to enter.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 1 month later...

Remember, most schools nowdays are very newbie friendly. I would go with whatever style appeals to you the most. Go to all three schools and ask for a trial class. When you find the right place, you will know by the end of the class. I did a trial class last week, I'm 35 and very out of shape (35lbs overweight, but only 5'2"). Needless to say, just getting through the warmup was nasty, I thought I was gonna hurl. I'm very competitive and come from a sporting background so there was no was I was giving in though. Sifu reminded me a few times this was my first class. My point is, they are going to push you and get you in shape, but at the same time they realize you need to enjoy yourself. Ask alot of questions. Enjoy!