• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which of these would best suit me?

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu (Long Fist)

Tai Chi Chuan

Praying Mantis(Tang Lang Chuan)

I am 13 years old

5'5" - 5'7"

obese 220lb(went to nutritionest lost 5lb since =] )

asthma (not bad at all and has been improving the more i exercise it used to be worse)

Thanks in advance

Wise men do not need to prove a point.

Men who need to prove a point aren't wise.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go with Taichi if you want to get the health benefits.

Long Fist will be hard to learn if u have asthma, as it takes a lot of high exercise from the very beginning.

Praying Mantis might also be easier though, it depends on which mantis style it is, northern or southern mantis...

I recommend TaiChi for various reasons the most important is because it will make u lose weight, it will be easier to do with ur asthma and u will develop a body and martial art skills that will allow u to learn other styles much easier than if u studied any other style.

In the end, u make the decision though, have fun with ur training!

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I'd go praying mantis. While it is vigorous at some points, the weight-loss and gains in flexibility, endurance, muscle tone should be alot faster than tai chi chaun (I'm guessing you're thinking of a Yang class). That's not to say tai chi won't produce the same benefits or is easier... To me it depends on your commitment to the art (fitness or self-defence etc.) Maybe ask to sit in on a beginners class of each school?...

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• 1 month later...

Tai Chi Chuan

I am 13 years old

5'5" - 5'7"

asthma (not bad at all and has been improving the more i exercise it used to be worse)

Thanks in advance

i think the best thing for you is to lose the weight , then you will enjoy it more. A big aspect of the marital arts is the "temple" or your body , make it strong , quick, and lean.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know much about Northern Shaolin Long Fist or Preying Mantis, but I have heard that a slow Tai Chi workout under full mental concentration can burn more calories per minute than surfing. People who do Tai Chi forms actually sweat sometimes even when doing the forms slowly. If you really have a problem with asthma, I would worry that the vigor of the other styles might inhibit your full potential in thoe arts. However, you should be able to enjoy Tai Chi exercises without difficulty for the most part and lose some pounds at the same time. When Tai Chi stylists move at high speed, it can actually be one of the fastest martial arts around, but I would caution you not to stress your lungs farther than they can naturally serve you. Good luck.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

I don't know much about Northern Shaolin Long Fist or Preying Mantis, but I have heard that a slow Tai Chi workout under full mental concentration can burn more calories per minute than surfing. People who do Tai Chi forms actually sweat sometimes even when doing the forms slowly. If you really have a problem with asthma, I would worry that the vigor of the other styles might inhibit your full potential in thoe arts. However, you should be able to enjoy Tai Chi exercises without difficulty for the most part and lose some pounds at the same time. When Tai Chi stylists move at high speed, it can actually be one of the fastest martial arts around, but I would caution you not to stress your lungs farther than they can naturally serve you. Good luck.

TaiChi forms are slow but it doesnt mean its not a strain on your body- every muscle in your body works together to keep perfect form and perfect alignment and TRUST me, what makes you burn those calories is not the concentration :P

However, i do agree with you that it is easier on the breathing. It can do wonders on people with blood pressure and/or respiratory problems.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

There is a book called "Iron and Silk" which gives an account of an American English teacher who went to China to teach English and to experience the martial arts of that country. In his book, he gives an account of how he witnessed a CALLIGRAPHY master sweating profusely from concentration alone when spending almost an hour on a difficult piece of master artwork. Hence, I conclude that intense concentration can make you sweat. I recommend the book, it is an excellant read.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

visit whatever schools are in your area and decide which fits you best. a good instructor in a good environment can make all of the difference in a world. you're best off with quality of instruction, even if the style isn't hypothetically tailored to you.

oh, and i feel like i should add: weight and asthma aren't really that big an issue. as my old capoeira instructor used to say, "if you want a capoeira body, play capoeira!". or rather, don't worry about getting in shape to start training in a style. train in the style; it'll get you into shape. no sense putting it off:-)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Tai Chi Chuan

I am 13 years old

5'5" - 5'7"

Thanks in advance

If it was me I would go for Praying Mantis, it is an effective and a high level kung fu system,if you find an authentic school that is.

Furthermore, if it is a good school then,(as in most kung fu styles), your training will give emphasis to chi-kung (breathing and energy development) exercises, that will help you with your asthma problem.

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

Shaolin kung fu usually is a take on contemporary wushu. It is more for looks than fighting, however it is very dynamic and would help you get both in better shape and be more flexible (if that is what you are looking for).

For a martial art for fighting, I usually wouldn't recommend Taijiquan. Not that it can't be trained well -

http://www.oxfordwudang.com/lotus_sweep.0.html

http://www.oxfordwudang.com/brush_knee.0.html

However despite that some do train with resistance and application, and that it was hardly an 'internal' style when it first was made, there are so many bad instructors who just teach it for exercise (which doesn't give you that much exercise anyways) and/or just the forms that to find a good taijiquan gym is extremely rare indeed. Mantis styles are a bit better in this regard, however you still have to be very careful. CMAs have gone over a century of hardship and oppression, and many poorly trained students led to many poorly trained teachers who know the forms and some very basic SD drills, but can't apply well what they have learned in an 'alive' setting. Check out all of the schools, and let us know how it goes.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt