• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not sure if anyone else has seen previews for this upcoming show on the Discovery Channel. It's basically the same premise as Human Weapon - two hosts travel to different countries to learn the native martial arts and then fight in a challenge match at the end. However, from the previews I've seen it looks like the challenge matches are much more hardcore (no pads for example).

The season premires on January 4th (supposedly), but the first episode I could find after 1/4 is on the 5th.

There's a sneak peek episode (Kung-Fu) being ran on 12/28 @ 10:00 pm and then repeated on the 29th @ 2:00 am.

Then the next listing I can find is 1/5 (Kali/Escrima) @ 3:00 pm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. A bit more hardcore will be interesting to see as well. We'll see how it pairs up with The Human Weapon. Comparisons are always nice, but I hope they don't try to be too much the same.

This can only mean one thing-

Jason and Bill vs Fight quest.

Fight. To the death.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to see the China episode off of dvr. Each fighter spent 4 or 5 days training at a different kung-fu/san da school. One of the poor guys, Jimmy I think was the one, was training with some of the monks and they sifu he was paired with spoke no English. I felt bad for the guy on that. He trained at the temple and it looked tough. After discovering he wasn't as flexible as the monks, or as well conditioned, and that he couldn't do a staff form, they seemed flustered with him. Then, they put Jimmy working the heavy bag and they discover he's not completely hopeless.

Doug, I think that was the other guys name, is training at an academy in town, with a sifu who speaks English enough for them to get by. He also has no clue on a staff form and looks pretty bad, but they start him shadow boxing and hitting mits earlier it seemed. There he did okay.

Both men got a taste of some traditional body conditioning and breaking drills, between them at least. Before the fight they had to give demos, about what you would expect. Jimmy getting bricks smashed on his stomach by a monk with a sledge hammer and Dough breaking a brick with his hand.

The fights for each man were 3 round san da maches and were full contact. Good fights that I don't want to give away, but there were bruises and bangs from the get go.

You basically have two gusy with fight training, to what degree I don't know yet, but enough to be solid. They seem to have zero traditional training experience though. Phillipeans is next on my list to watch and they had a preview of the karate episode. Looked like a tough one.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I have seen some commercials on them, and they do look good. I think I may have to break down and by the DVDs of both this and The Human Weapon, just so I can have them all.

This can only mean one thing-

Jason and Bill vs Fight quest.

Fight. To the death.

Yes, but no elbow strikes. :)

Think about it though ->

All of the following arts have failed to overcome the greatness known as Bill Duff: Karate, Pankration, Sambo, Savate, MMA, and even the dreaded ninja. Since we all know that only a ninja can defeat a ninja, we are left with one simple fact. Bill Duff = Ninja. The fight quest guys have no chance. Speaking of which, how did the two kali episodes compare? It seemed to me like they were the closest...but I still don't have a way of watching them yet.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt