• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving drive...any suggestions?

kittyblue-eyes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

If it's a physical thing, plyometrics like squat jumps, side box jumps ladder jumps and the like will make a big difference.

If it's a technique issue, then concentrate on moving from tanden. Visualize a lead ball embedded in your pelvis, 2 inches below your belly button. Every time you move, your whole purpose is to move the ball in the desired direction but without making it rise up or down by even a millimeter. Move as fast as you can without moving this imaginary spot up or down. Do some footwork drills using this imagery while moving forwards, backwards, along angles and then combinations of sudden changes in direction.

Thanks again, everyone. I do appreciate your taking the time. Do guys just have an easier time with this? I find our sensei's talking about how the women in the class never seem to 'get it' when they talk about this, where as most of the men seem to have it pretty well down by green or purple belt.

I'll look into plyometrics, thanks. I do think lack of strength/power may be part of my problem. What is a ladder jump? What kind of foot work drills would you recommend?

Drive is commonly referred to as power or strength. It's actually neither. Power/Strength is the by product, not the action.

Drive is actually based on quick and centered starting action. The body has to be relaxed, centered, and both feet flat and engaged to the floor. When driving, all body muscles contract, as if going down stairs of a screwing down to the floor action. The body naturally drives forward. The faster you breathe/contract, the faster the forward/backwards movement.

Driving over distance involves more work on breathing timing. And instead of thinking driving in one motion over distance, you drive centered in multiple minute/major contractions utilizing breathing timing until you achieve your target distance - otherwise you will be winded and not be able to recover from the movement.

How do you develop this action. Stand in ready or a specific stance. Totally relax the entire body. Without thought, quickly exhale and contract all body muscles and drive forward - one step at a time. Then quickly relax the entire body to do another action. If you practise this enough, it will be second nature and you will be able to drive all day long (so-to-speak) without getting tired and applying maximum speed and power in any direction you chose to go...

Hope this helps.

- Killer -

Killer Miller,

You really seem to know your stuff. Where do you teach? Are you going to be at the Hoitsugan seminars out your way in March?

If it's a physical thing, plyometrics like squat jumps, side box jumps ladder jumps and the like will make a big difference.

And have you tried using bicycle inner-tubes or surgical tubing? I agree that jumping is one of the best things you can do to help your drive when stepping. But maybe too much jumping can make you JUMP when you should STEP... That's why I really recommend trying a type of resistance training that you can do while using good form, such as inner tubes.

NidaninNJ,

I just pretty much just teach online now lol.

I come from the old school of training and have entertained teaching again if the opportunity arose. But, I'm a fairly hard-core instructor. I treat everyone in my classes equal, and try to bring everyone up to the same level. Then drive them to much higher levels. I'm fairly tolerant to those trying and having difficulties, but not tolerant to those that just are not into it. I'd rather they went elsewhere. I have very specific curriculums with high expectations and expect strong spirit.

In today's market of MA, most don't want that and want the easy way out in training. So, if I saw a need and opportunity to teach that level of karate, I would probably consider teaching again. But most don't have that interest anymore. All you hear anymore, and I know a LOT of MA enthusiasts, is "my instructor is an Nth degree black belt..." Yet, they don't know half of what I know... I refuse to be a part of that particular trend.

But, I'm happy to share and convey those concepts here online for those interested...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

And have you tried using bicycle inner-tubes or surgical tubing? I agree that jumping is one of the best things you can do to help your drive when stepping. But maybe too much jumping can make you JUMP when you should STEP... That's why I really recommend trying a type of resistance training that you can do while using good form, such as inner tubes.

I don't think that this kind of plyometric jump training will lead to jumping when doing technique. We are talking about a very powerful, bursting movement, jumping as high as you can. I have done plyometrics in the past, and it has never caused me to jump durning any of my movements. However, the tube training is a good idea as well.