• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do I say something? How to do so tactfully??

One of my sempai frequently says 'good' for every tecqnique when watching us. I don't think he really means it any of the times, but it can be confusing. For example, we were practicing front kick using a pad as a target, with every kick he said 'good', almost automatically. Each kick felt very different to me and I doubt they were all actually good. I know I would benefit more if he corrected the bad ones. If he isn't comfortable doing that, he could just not say anything on the less good ones and save the 'good' for the ones that actually are good. But how do I tell him? Is it disrespectful? Out of my place? Thank you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The sempai saying "good" may be more of an acknowledgment as opposed to an actual compliment. This is something that many people do. If you would like to approach him about something, perhaps do it after class on a one-to-one level, and ask him if he saw anything in particular that you could work on to improve your kicks. That way, no one is singled out, or looks unprofessional.

Bushido again hit the nail on the head. He may also be complimenting a "good" effort put forward by the Kohi. This is something my Sensei does especially with the kids class. This may be a subject you may come to understand as you get into your Sempi's position.

A lot of instructors get into a rhythm and routine when they are instructing. If you've ever worked in retail or any other job where you've interacted with many people in a given day, you know that (most) people eventually get a small repertoire of words, phrases, even jokes that they recycle. To some extent, I think that's what's happening here. As you said, it seemed automatic.

However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is a wide range of what can be acceptable from a particular technique. The fact that your instructor is saying "good" every time probably means that (although each kick feels very different to you) you are within the acceptable range. Probably not perfect and perhaps not particularly spectacular, but acceptable.

As others have suggested, if you want to achieve more than just acceptable, approach your instructor and say you really want to challenge yourself and perfect your technique, and ask if he has any suggestions, or could at least keep an eye out for areas of improvement in the near future. Most instructors will be delighted that you are taking such interest in excelling at your art, and who knows-- he may even apply the treatment to the rest of your class.

Good luck!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

There is the possibility that if he is a newer instructor he hasn't developed the eye to see all the details of a technique yet. I know after 6 years of teaching I notice 10 times as much as I did when I started. It wasn't because I wasn't observant. It's just that every person you teach is different, so you learn from them what to look for and how to correct it if its wrong. When I first started I focused mainly on chamber and rechamber of kicks, then I added landing with balance, then I started to pay attention more to foot position, after that was power, then I started trying to get the hips into it... It's a learning process to watch and correct techniques.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• 2 years later...
One of my sempai frequently says 'good' for every tecqnique when watching us. I don't think he really means it any of the times, but it can be confusing. For example, we were practicing front kick using a pad as a target, with every kick he said 'good', almost automatically. Each kick felt very different to me and I doubt they were all actually good. I know I would benefit more if he corrected the bad ones. If he isn't comfortable doing that, he could just not say anything on the less good ones and save the 'good' for the ones that actually are good. But how do I tell him? Is it disrespectful? Out of my place? Thank you.

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to throw in a different opinion. I totally agree with you Kitty. "Good" is pretty ambiguous, and most beginners would interpret that as meaning the kick is good. In addition, if you say that every technique, people become conditioned to it and it no longer has any meaning at all. I'm sure at the time he didn't realize how that came across, and probably developed it as a habit, especially since every kick is probably not good in reality, as you suggested.

I wouldn't have found it disrespectful to approach him one on one and suggest that you were confused and ask for an explanation of how they use the term "good" in their school so that you will know what he means. IF you worded it well, this could sound more like you are asking to be corrected than accusing him of anything, and that is nearly always a helpful approach for keeping the peace.

/\

Palms together in respect.