• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing club logos or clothes on the street?

I came across some really nice muay thai shirts which look cool but don't scream: 'Look! I do martial arts! Show me your best crane kick!'.

Unfortunately I don't do Muay Thai but they look really cool. http://www.tuffboxing.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1

Now if I knew my stuff and REALLY wanted to be a jerk/ubercool guy (maybe a bit of both), I'd get a shirt from one of the 'submission' series here: http://gracieacademystore.com/store/ and then proceed to win with whatever technique was on my shirt 8)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai shirts do look cool. The "armlock" or "kneelock" shirts are...interesting. Just the words, and they leave the rest to your imaginiation, I guess.

I like them a lot more than the flaming skulls that seem to be in vogue nowadays.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, but then someone that likes to fight might want to challenge you if you're wearing a MA shirt.

And there's the rub, what might prevent one attack might provoke another. I guess one might argue that the attacks prevented by presenting oneself as a tough guy/gal, via clothing and body language, are potentially more serious than the attacks that come about by appearing this way.

Ed

I've never had any trouble wearing my logo out in public. I think it 's the way you act, carry yourself, and talk that may cause problems.

Aikikenjitsu--Kenpo as the core, with Aikido motion and techniques added with Jujitsu arm moves added. 90% techniques I created using Kenpo as a base.

• 4 weeks later...

The way I see it, wearing something with the dojo logo is free advertising for the school. I've had people see my shirt and come up to me and talk to me about it and want to know what school I'm with and what it's like. Generally, though I wear my tee shirt and gi pants only on class days. I do have some MA tees that aren't dojo related. For the most part they're subtle, and I wear them because I like the design or the saying on them.

I've never been challenged when I'm wearing any kind of karate gear, but then, I would probably remind any challenger of their mom, and they might assume that it was my kid taking karate classes instead of me.

In short, nothing wrong with it, IMO, unless you're strutting around bragging about what a great fighter you are because you take karate.