• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I mentioned this in another thread, but I wanted to stick it under the noses of you grapplers! I have never grappled before (besides sumo, but I don't think that counts!) but I am looking for a club near me to train at and I'm not exactly spoiled for choice! Would you guys have a look at THIS LINK for me and tell me what you think (its very brief!)?

I have never heard of freestyle jujitsu, only BJJ and JJJ. Which is this likely to be, and what are the gradings it refers to? I know there's not a great deal of information on that link, but from your experience I was hoping you might be able to guess better than me. Also, from the description of the style does it sound like I am going to get my head kicked in(it is in Darlington after all...)?! I am all for sparring and training full on but being from a TMA background the idea of being "grounded and pounded" does not appeal!

Finally I have bad knees (along with 90% of the people on KF by the looks of it!), is this an issue for grappling?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's difficult to tell. Your best bet is to go in and see. As for the knees, that often a trial and error type of thing. See if it hurts to do it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It looks like an MMA school to me. If thats what you are looking for than have at it! you can always change your mind ( as long as they don't require a contract that is)

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"

Any school can be labeled as being MMA. This looks like its a school thats trying to teach MMA with Japanese Ju Jitsu instructors. It doesnt make them bad, but bear in mind that a JJJ black belt DOES NOT is not comparable to a BJJ black belt. They openly acknowledge this though. Their hearts my be in the right place, but they may not be the best teachers. I can only suggest you go and see

When you say "is not "comparable" do you mean it is a weaker style in the context of mma or just that it is different? I guess my hope was that it would be tma (JJJ) as a foundation with some other striking and grappling styles mixed in. I have to work late tomorrow so unless things change I won't get to go until the new year which is annoying.

When I started training BJJ, I already had a 2nd Dan in JJJ. I had placed 2nd in the United States Jujitsu Federation (https://www.usjjf.org NOT .com) nationals. The systems are not even comparable. BJJ is far more compatible with MMA in general. The ground system is a million times more technical. BJJ blue belts were slaughtering me on the ground!! Since that day I have not worn my black belt in a Jiujitsu class again.

In the context of MMA...JJJ is a far weaker style to utilize, sorry to say. Many stylists are, however, doing their best to begin learning and incorporating BJJ tactics. You just won't know for sure until you check it out though.

I should mention that this is not because JJJ is flawed. However, much of it is based in steep tradition. Learning to use and defend against swords, bo, and other various weapons, lots of ettiquite training, wrist manipulations are huge (illegal in MMA), vital point strikes (also not allowed). Not to mention that there are Kata and Randori (free rolling) does not play as big a factor in training. The list goes on. It simply does not translate well into the sporting arena without changing it completely.

It appears to me that in the way that Judo changed its training methods to modify JJJ, BJJ has done the same to Judo, really. BJJ expounded even more on the Judo type of randori, making it ok to work from the bottom, not worrying about being pinned, etc. In the end, it boils down more to training methods. I have seen all of the Judo techniques in BJJ; that is where they have come from. However, Helio Gracie wasn't afraid to adapt and make changes to his Judo (or Jujitsu, or whatever) to account for his abilities.

Let me know if I am off-base here. This is just what I have kind of felt I have learned in my readings.

When I started training BJJ, I already had a 2nd Dan in JJJ. I had placed 2nd in the United States Jujitsu Federation (https://www.usjjf.org NOT .com) nationals. The systems are not even comparable. BJJ is far more compatible with MMA in general. The ground system is a million times more technical. BJJ blue belts were slaughtering me on the ground!! Since that day I have not worn my black belt in a Jiujitsu class again.

In the context of MMA...JJJ is a far weaker style to utilize, sorry to say. Many stylists are, however, doing their best to begin learning and incorporating BJJ tactics. You just won't know for sure until you check it out though.

I should mention that this is not because JJJ is flawed. However, much of it is based in steep tradition. Learning to use and defend against swords, bo, and other various weapons, lots of ettiquite training, wrist manipulations are huge (illegal in MMA), vital point strikes (also not allowed). Not to mention that there are Kata and Randori (free rolling) does not play as big a factor in training. The list goes on. It simply does not translate well into the sporting arena without changing it completely.

What he said Dazed and Confused- in my experience, a JJJ black belt is somewhere along the lines of an experienced BJJ white belt.

In context to the rest of JJJ's techniques, Im not as fond of it as is ps1. Wrist locks are allowed in professional tournaments (all submissions are legal at the professional level, be it professional jiu jitsu or MMA). Theyre not very applicable in MMA due to the simple fact that a fighters hands and wrists are taped to prevent injury, which then makes wristlocks far more difficult. In regards to professional jiu jitsu, wristlocks are allowed but are very seldom seen simply because they're so much more difficult to apply in the practical sense than they are the theoretical sense.

What he said Dazed and Confused- in my experience, a JJJ black belt is somewhere along the lines of an experienced BJJ white belt.

In context to the rest of JJJ's techniques, Im not as fond of it as is ps1. Wrist locks are allowed in professional tournaments (all submissions are legal at the professional level, be it professional jiu jitsu or MMA). Theyre not very applicable in MMA due to the simple fact that a fighters hands and wrists are taped to prevent injury, which then makes wristlocks far more difficult. In regards to professional jiu jitsu, wristlocks are allowed but are very seldom seen simply because they're so much more difficult to apply in the practical sense than they are the theoretical sense.

Honestly, I wouldn't even put it at an experienced white belt. I think that, in some cases, a JJJ black belt already has good hip movement and knowledge of some biomechanics. They learn it a little faster in the beginning.

Also, I didn't realize wrist locks are legal in MMA events. Which ones? I can't think of a case where they would be very helpful in those events anyway. You see wrist locks more in professional gi grappling. They are more useful in defending against grips and are very difficult to actually submit someone with. This is because it's hard to have a wrist locked while the rest of the person's body is under total control. You usually just remove the grip and the person shifts and you lose the lock. That's my experience with them in BJJ.

Wristlocks are legal in all professional MMA tournaments, such as UFC. Their practicality is much more so for gi than no gi, I agree. Usually they're seen when grip fighting on the feet, or from cross side when opponents protect themselves incorrectly and leave a wrist available