• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I selling out?

I have recently been approached by an ATA instructor. After watching me perform a chuan fa form he asked me to teach an XMA seminar. I've never considered myself an XMA practitioner. The forms in chuan fa are flashy, but there is a point to some of the flashier techniques. However, it's the subtleties that I have always considered more important. The unflashy (is that a word...i don't think so) elements are the ones with direct self defense application.

Here's my delima:

While I'm not against XMA per say... I think teaching techniques for the sake of winning tournaments and simply being fancy is pointless. This would lead me to decline teaching the seminar.

On the other side of the coin is this:

Despite the fact that I would be teaching them fancy techniques, it could have a profound impact on students. Perhaps it could motivate students who may otherwise quit. I know when I was young I thought being able to do all those moves was cool too (that's why I learned them afterall :D ). It would be a bit hypocritical of me to deny that to others. Maybe they would go on to become very accomplished martial artists.

Here's my solution:

1. Agree to presenting a chuan fa seminar, not just XMA, focusing on some of the more dynamic movements.

2. Present my philosophy for these techniques. (Fitness, conditioning, mastery of the basics is required for many of them)

3. Present them as techniques, not gymnastics. I often see kicks that simply glide as the person performs them, no power. It was always a necessity for me to be able to make the fancy kicks powerful as well.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments about this?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do what feels right for you. Considering they asked you to teach the seminar, then i think you should be able to take the material in which ever direction you want to. Obviously they will want to focus on the flashy components, so you can show them the fancy parts, but also include applications and your philosophy on the use of the movements etc.

This is a tricky one. Some techniques I use are quite flashy too but if you teach anything right, it can have a practical place in self defense. I think you can find a happy medium if you do as such.

You have lots of good questions there, ps1. However, I think you have hidden the answer in there yourself.

You have been approached to teach the seminar, so teach it how you want it. Do it just like many others set up their seminars; teach it in blocks that build on each other. Start with one concept, like the basics, and then build into the next, and then the next. You will eventually cover what they may be wanting to learn, but they will get the whole gamut covered.

Stay true to what you want to teach them in the seminar. Like you said, you originally wanted to learn the moves because you thought they were cool, and the others may feel the same way. Teach what you want in the seminar, and let the students take home from it what they want. That is, if you choose to do it. If you don't, then no loss, really. However, by choosing to teach it, then you have the choice of what these students are exposed to. It is up to them to follow their own path after that. :karate:

Why would an ATA Instructor care about a chuan fa seminar?
ps1 stated that the instructor was interested in him teaching an XMA seminar. Some of the moves must trasnfer well to XMA competition.

Why would an ATA Instructor care about a chuan fa seminar?

Good question. Here's all the connections. He and I study BJJ together. He isn't "athletic" and doesn't do "XMA" stuff (Jumping spinning kicks, barrel rolls, kips and the like) very well. However, he is a 5th degree in the ATA and they now require an XMA class (or so I'm told). One day He saw me practicing Unsu (a karate kata) and was impressed with the 360 jumping movement at the end of the kata. Since he liked it I demonstrated a chuan fa form for him (the system is a mix of Indonesian Poekoelan and Southern Kung Fu). The system has some very dynamic elements that he thinks would work great for his XMA classes.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That is interesting, ps1. I am surprised that the ATA now requires schools to offer an XMA class. I wonder what else they try to make all of the schools offer now, too.

That is interesting, ps1. I am surprised that the ATA now requires schools to offer an XMA class. I wonder what else they try to make all of the schools offer now, too.

I have not heard anyone, from ATA HQ to other ATA school owners, state that we are now required to offer the XMA curriculum.

Matt

I have recently been approached by an ATA instructor. After watching me perform a chuan fa form he asked me to teach an XMA seminar. I've never considered myself an XMA practitioner. The forms in chuan fa are flashy, but there is a point to some of the flashier techniques. However, it's the subtleties that I have always considered more important. The unflashy (is that a word...i don't think so) elements are the ones with direct self defense application.

Here's my delima:

While I'm not against XMA per say... I think teaching techniques for the sake of winning tournaments and simply being fancy is pointless. This would lead me to decline teaching the seminar.

On the other side of the coin is this:

Despite the fact that I would be teaching them fancy techniques, it could have a profound impact on students. Perhaps it could motivate students who may otherwise quit. I know when I was young I thought being able to do all those moves was cool too (that's why I learned them afterall :D ). It would be a bit hypocritical of me to deny that to others. Maybe they would go on to become very accomplished martial artists.

Here's my solution:

1. Agree to presenting a chuan fa seminar, not just XMA, focusing on some of the more dynamic movements.

2. Present my philosophy for these techniques. (Fitness, conditioning, mastery of the basics is required for many of them)

3. Present them as techniques, not gymnastics. I often see kicks that simply glide as the person performs them, no power. It was always a necessity for me to be able to make the fancy kicks powerful as well.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments about this?

Are you selling out - depends, are they paying you enough?

In all seriousness, I teach courses regularly in the UK and I have a simple approach to it - "this is the way I do my karate" if you don’t like it (and some do not), then don’t come back. Luckily most tend to.

People vote with their feet. If they think you are crap, they won’t come back.

Make sure you get your money though!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com